RE: cosmology & polygamy

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 21:00:03 EDT

      If a historical analysis is taken of the Old Testament, we see several
    different "faces" of God in the Bible .

      There is the personal God of the Patriarchs, known by such names as the
    "Fear of Isaac" and the "Mighty one of Jacob. "
      There is the God of Exodus, Judges, and Kings, who appears to be the
    merciless, invincible warrior God who crushes Israel's enemies.
      There is the just and righteous God of the prophets.
      There is the God of priestly and ceremonial law, concerned with ritual and
    sacrifice.
      In my opinion , there is an undoubted tension between those views of God
    in the Old Testament. See, for example , Isa. 66:1-4 for a prophetic attack
    on the Priestly view of God.Moreover, each view of God incorporates elements
    from the other views. The prophet Ezekiel, while stressing the prophetic
    view of God, still is quite concerned about priestly law. One could finish
    reading the Old Testament with the question, which is truest portrait of
    God?
      I believe that the New Testament resolves that question in favor of the
    prophetic view of God, but the other views are not completely effaced.One
    still sees something of the "warrior" God in Revelations, and the "priestly"
    God in Hebrews.
      I would argue that in the Bible, we see a progressive revelation, in which
    God accommodates his revelation to the capabilities and expectations of a
    primitive Bronze Age tribe, creates a history with this people, and then
    finally brings forth his fullest revelation in Jesus of Nazareth. At each
    point, God reveals as much of his true nature as the people are prepared to
    see.Plainly, there were many times in which they COULD not see what God
    intended. In the context of an all-out , centuries-long struggle for
    existence with the Canaanites, perhaps all Israel wanted to see of God was
    that He would crush the enemy with overwhelming power.From this they (mis?)
    interpreted God's word to them in terms of a genocidal " Holy" War".
      Another approach may be simply old style dispensationalism. In the Old
    Testament dispensation, Israel is permitted to do things forbidden under the
    present dispensation.
      I have to admit, neither approach really satisfies me. My 0.02 cents...