Re: Current Events

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 12:38:44 EST

    "Howard J. Van Till" wrote:

    > > Another point: In earlier writings you've spoken
    > of creation as
    > > being "gifted by God from the outset with all of the
    > form-producing
    > > capacities necessary ..." (S & CB 8, 1996) & similar
    > things. You're going
    > > to have a problem saying anything like this in a process
    > context. The
    > > difficulty is not just that there's no process "outset"
    > but that the world
    > > & its capacities cannot be seen as the work of God alone.
    > Thus God cannot
    > > have "gifted" creation with "all" of its form-producing
    > capacities.
    >

    > Not necessarily a problem. _This_ particular universe -- this
    > particular manifestation of a World -- remains, I believe, open to my
    > description (perhaps slightly modified by the absence of any need to
    > root it in creatio ex nihilo). _This_ universe still has an "outset"
    > and particular features chosen by God.

    Howard -
            This doesn't get at the heart of the problem. Your earlier
    statement was that God had gifted creation with _all_ it's
    form-producing capacities. With a process approach you'd have to say
    "some" of its capacities or "God _contributed_ to all its form-producing
    capacities" or something of the sort.
            I largely agree with Ted Davis's post on this topic. However,
    while he empasizes difficulties of process thought with classical
    monotheism, I would point out that it's hard to formulate an adequate
    trinitarian understanding of God in process terms.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/