Re: Current Events

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 09:13:07 EST

    From: george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>

    > One thing significantly missing from this list is anything about _God's_
    > freedom. & one consequence of that is that the use of the term kenotic is
    > inappropriate. In its proper usage that stems from Phil.2:7 it means that
    > God voluntarily limits divine action. That is something quite different
    > from the idea that God simply can't do some thing. Kenosis has become a
    > popular term & it's understandable that process theologians would want to
    > use it but in doing so they change the meaning of it.

    Interesting point. I'll keep my eyes open to relevant comments on it.

    > Another point: In earlier writings you've spoken of creation as
    > being "gifted by God from the outset with all of the form-producing
    > capacities necessary ..." (S & CB 8, 1996) & similar things. You're going
    > to have a problem saying anything like this in a process context. The
    > difficulty is not just that there's no process "outset" but that the world
    > & its capacities cannot be seen as the work of God alone. Thus God cannot
    > have "gifted" creation with "all" of its form-producing capacities.

    Not necessarily a problem. _This_ particular universe -- this particular
    manifestation of a World -- remains, I believe, open to my description
    (perhaps slightly modified by the absence of any need to root it in creatio
    ex nihilo). _This_ universe still has an "outset" and particular features
    chosen by God.

    Howard