Re: Current Events

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 14:53:29 EST

    George, couldn't agree more. But I want to make this largely an extension
    of Ted's analysis ("Nature of Nature," Apr. 2, 2002, 09:37:17 -5:00),
    though I won't copy it here. I appreciate it's cogency, yet want to come
    at the problem from a different angle. With panentheism, while the deity
    is "greater" than universe (not equated with it as in pantheism), deity
    and universe are necessarily interacting. This brings up all the problems
    both of you mention. But there is more that is independent of Christian
    theology. If God and "creation" are so intertwined, exhaustive
    alternatives are: (1) both are eternal in the sense of existing in
    infinite past time; (2) the deity existed eternally before "creating";
    (3) both deity and universe sprang into existence simultaneously.

    If (1), we have a pagan outlook, akin to that of the Ionians, Plato,
    Aristotle, etc. Plato's demiurge, with perfect plans hampered by
    recalcitrant stuff, and Aristotle's eternally existing Pure Reason and
    absolute unreason (Prime Matter), are not compatible with Hebrews 11:3.
    However, the modern view can be consistent with Genesis 1:1, which does
    not necessarily involve creatio ex nihilo, but where it is clear
    throughout the chapter that nothing in matter hamper's Elohim's work.
    Still, there is a major problem incorporating the Big Bang. Can anyone
    come up with a justified claim that it didn't happen?

    If (2), we have the problem of what the deity was doing earlier, what
    kind of "finger-twiddling" engaged it in eternity past. More difficult a
    problem, what triggered the sudden initiation of matter? How could it
    take an eternity of discursive reasoning by this deity to come up with a
    desire to "create"? Alternatively, we have a variant of (3), with a deity
    produced at a finite time before deciding to "create," with all the
    problems of (3) entailed.

    If (3), what is the origin of the combination? Plotinian emanationism
    fits, but is the view in any way compelling? Or one can argue that the
    two sprang into existence simultaneously, as some cosmologies provide for
    matter alone. But there is nothing like the quantum vacuum to account for
    this dual "creation."

    To summarize, in addition to all the problems process theology has with
    orthodox theology, I think it falls apart from purely philosophical
    problems. I see it as at root irrational.
    Dave

    On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:38:44 -0500 george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>