RE: direct observation (was ASA Perspective)

From: Woodward Norm Civ WRALC/TIEDM (Norm.Woodward@robins.af.mil)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 18:34:09 EST

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Jonathan Clarke [mailto:jdac@alphalink.com.au]
    Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 3:56 PM
    Cc: asa@calvin.edu
    Subject: direct observation (was ASA Perspective)

    Hi Norm

    Jonathan wrote:

    Several things here.

    Ignoring the use of the word "indoctrinated" with respect to the vast body
    of
    diverse evidence for an old earth, may I remind you that until the
    circumnavigation by Magellan's crew begun in 1521 there was no direct
    evidence
    that the earth was round. Until then it was all indirect and inferential.
    * But, apparently quite convincing...the circumference was calculated by the
    ancients to an amazing degree of accuracy, well before the Dark Ages, or, I
    believe, the Christian Era.

    Nobody directly observed the earth as a sphere until the flight of Gemini 12
    (Aldrin and Lovell) in 1966.

    > And, of course, the survey in question was done, assumable, on the
    scientists of today, not of yesteryear. And I would wager more had
    first-handedly circumnavigated the globe, or known someone who had, than had
    personally established the age of the earth.

    Atoms, magnetic fields, and X-rays cannot be sensed directly by human
    beings,
    and are known only through indirect evidence. Shall we denounce those who
    have
    been indoctrinated into belief in these entities?
    > We should be the last to denounce the believe of Anything than
    "...cannot be sensed directly by human beings..."
    Norm