Old-Earth Creationism

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 14:03:26 EST

    With all the hammering that YEC is getting in this forum, it appears that
    the only other alternative is evolution. However, it seems to me that
    Old-earth creationism (OEC) is another viable alternative that seem to be as
    consistent with the evidence as evolution is.

    Assuming that God created all life forms in their own "kinds" (however one
    chooses to define what this means, but it almost certainly must be above the
    level of the species), either simultaneously, or at different times, it
    seems to me that this perspective is able to account for all the scientific
    evidence that evolution can. Microevolution is accepted, and accounts for a
    wide array of observations. Extinction is also allowed in this view, which
    explains why we don't see many creatures that we find in the fossil record.
    What we find in common across different species (physical structures,
    genetic sequences, etc.) could be accounted for by the fact that God
    recycles basic building blocks in different types of creatures. I'm
    wondering if people can think of data that this view is unable to account
    for, because, on the surface, it seems to me like this may be a viable
    alternative for Christians to take.

    Adrian.