Re: Old-Earth Creationism

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 14:42:16 EST

    >From: Adrian Teo <ateo@whitworth.edu>

    > With all the hammering that YEC is getting in this forum, it appears that
    > the only other alternative is evolution. However, it seems to me that
    > Old-earth creationism (OEC) is another viable alternative that seem to be as
    > consistent with the evidence as evolution is.

    Sorry, I don't believe that for a minute. A century ago that might have been
    true, but not today.

    > Assuming that God created all life forms in their own "kinds"....

    What is the warrant for that assumption?

    > (however one
    > chooses to define what this means, but it almost certainly must be above the
    > level of the species), ....

    Why should the biblical "kinds" have anything whatsoever to do with modern
    classification categories?

    > .... either simultaneously, or at different times, it
    > seems to me that this perspective is able to account for all the scientific
    > evidence that evolution can.

    Biologists/paleontologists/geologists.... on this list are capable of
    providing numerous counterexamples, but why would they want to take the time
    to do it once again?????

    > Microevolution is accepted, and accounts for a
    > wide array of observations. Extinction is also allowed in this view, which
    > explains why we don't see many creatures that we find in the fossil record.

    Why allow extinction? Is that a Biblical concept?

    > What we find in common across different species (physical structures,
    > genetic sequences, etc.) could be accounted for by the fact that God
    > recycles basic building blocks in different types of creatures.

    Where did that "fact" come from?????

    > I'm
    > wondering if people can think of data that this view is unable to account
    > for, because, on the surface, it seems to me like this may be a viable
    > alternative for Christians to take.

    It's been done, and done, and done, ........................

    Howard Van Till