RE: Redheads descended from Neanderthals?

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 09:10:05 EST

    Hi Richard,

    One of the things that really struck me when I started studying anthro was
    the large amount of evidence for behaviors which we would call 'human' among
    the N.'s and H. erectus. In my mind, the existence of possible religious
    sites clearly shows that the human soul (however we define it) was in
    existence prior to the building of those altars. And given the age of the
    altars (or what I most assuredly beleive were altars, this means that the
    human soul was around at least 400,000 years ago.

    Neanderthal examples:
    At Bruniquel, France, archeologists have excavated a square stone structure
    dating to more than 47,000 years ago (prior to the advent of modern man in
    Europe) in which the Neanderthals burned a bear. Bednarik (1996, p. 104)