Re: Redheads descended from Neanderthals?

From: Richard Kouchoo (richard.kouchoo@firstdata.com.au)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 19:20:05 EST

    Greetings,

    I am a newcomer here (actually I've been here a few times in the past) and have
    been following a few discussion threads quite intently.

    I found John Burgeson's take on the creation of soul very interesting:

    _Perhaps, just perhaps, the creation of
    humans-in-the-image-of-God did not take place as an event -- but as a
    process. If one allows that it may be a process, rather than an
    event-at-a-moment-of-time, then that process may well have started prior
    to both Neandertal and Homo-sapiens_

    However I have an objection to this line of reasoning since its implications are
    not very comforting. The special, instantaneous creation of the soul is
    absolutely necessary, doctrinally speaking. Without it, Christ's death and
    resurrection are pointless, since the meaning of sin and specifically, original
    sin, as Christian tradition has envisaged it for the past two millennia, becomes
    redundant. 'A process' of original sin is completely alien to Christian theology
    and Tielhard's ideas are more in line with patheism than Christianity.

    My two cents.
    Richard.