Re: Redheads descended from Neanderthals?

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 19:27:34 EST

    Richard wrote,

    << I found John Burgeson's take on the creation of soul very interesting:

     _Perhaps, just perhaps, the creation of
     humans-in-the-image-of-God did not take place as an event -- but as a
     process. If one allows that it may be a process, rather than an
     event-at-a-moment-of-time, then that process may well have started prior
     to both Neandertal and Homo-sapiens_

     However I have an objection to this line of reasoning since its implications
    are
     not very comforting. The special, instantaneous creation of the soul is
     absolutely necessary, doctrinally speaking. Without it, Christ's death and
     resurrection are pointless, since the meaning of sin and specifically,
    original
     sin, as Christian tradition has envisaged it for the past two millennia,
    becomes
     redundant. 'A process' of original sin is completely alien to Christian
    theology
     and Tielhard's ideas are more in line with patheism than Christianity.

    I don't want to get into the "soul-spirit" idea in the NT, but in the OT,
    every fish, animal, and bird has a "living soul", nephesh hayah (Gen 1:21,
    30, et al) the same thing which Adam becomes in 2:7. It is not unique to
    mankind.

    I think you can accept Burgy's idea, which I rather like myself; but think of
    the personal revelation of God to the first human beings as being the more
    essential defining difference between humans and animals (as well, of course,
    as the delegation of the cultural mandate or blessing to humans in 1:26-8)
    and the point after which the first sin is committed, i.e., original sin.

    Best wishes,

    Paul