Nothing buttery

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 18:24:35 EST

    "Perhaps this ordering and this way of looking at things avoids the
    extreme reductionism (or "nothing buttery") of "consciousness is nothing
    but biology," "biology is nothing but chemistry," "chemistry is nothing
    but physics," and "the universe is nothing but matter."

    I thought about this some more. Let me try again.

    Assertion 1: "Chemistry is nothing more than physics." IOW, if we
    understood physics better, we could explain chemistry.

    Assertion 2. Biology is nothing more than physics/chemistry. IOW, if we
    understood physics/chemistry better, we could explain biology.

    Assertion 3. Consciousness is nothing more than
    physics/chemistry/biology. IOW, if we understood
    physics/chemistry/biology better, we could explain consciousness.

    If asked to agree/disagree with the above, I'd say

    1. Yes
    2. Maybe, but I think not.
    3. No.

    It seems to me that the above formulation gets to many of the root
    questions we debate here. I could be wrong.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)