Re: Nothing buttery

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 20:49:55 EST

    From: John W Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>

    I thought about this some more. Let me try again.

    Assertion 1: "Chemistry is nothing more than physics." IOW, if we understood
    physics better, we could explain chemistry.

    Assertion 2. Biology is nothing more than physics/chemistry. IOW, if we
    understood physics/chemistry better, we could explain biology.

    Assertion 3. Consciousness is nothing more than physics/chemistry/biology.
    IOW, if we understood physics/chemistry/biology better, we could explain
    consciousness.

    If asked to agree/disagree with the above, I'd say

    1. Yes
    2. Maybe, but I think not.
    3. No.

    John: Here's a set of related questions for fun:

    1. Does physics have a conceptual vocabulary that is adequate to handle all
    the phenomena & questions that chemistry must deal with?

    2. Does physics/chemistry have a conceptual vocabulary that is adequate to
    handle all the phenomena & questions that biology must deal with?

    3. Does physics/chemistry/biology have a conceptual vocabulary that is
    adequate to handle all the phenomena & questions that a study of
    consciousness must deal with?

    I think a case could be made for saying that each time we go "up" the
    disciplinary ladder (related to the complexity of the systems whose behavior
    is under scrutiny) from physics-->chemistry-->biology-->consciousness we
    encounter the need to expand our conceptual vocabulary to deal with
    phenomena/behavior not exhibited by simpler systems.

    Howard Van Till