Re: Nothing buttery

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 23:44:02 EST

    I haven't found a way to get past that line with my e-mail setup, so I'll
    begin here. Howard, I wonder if you are asking the wrong questions. Let
    me begin with the unfulfilled assumption that M-theory or some other GUT
    provides a full unification of all the forces and whatever may be needed
    to complete physics. Is the current physical vocabulary adequate to deal
    with all these phenomena? I suspect that it is not, that as quarks and
    chromodynamic terms had to be invented, so new terminology would be
    needed for the GUT. But the assumption is that the micro theory will
    explain all the macro phenomena, even though it seems very strange to me
    to suggest that the mass of small particles depend on the supermassive
    Higgs boson. But the terminology of the macro relationships is hardly
    identical with that of the micro forces/particles/whatever terminology.

    If we now move to chemistry, the presumption is that the forces holding
    molecules together, the mass of the component atoms, and all the other
    chemical matters is explained by the physical micro stuff. But to present
    the quantum view of even a simple molecule is surely unwieldy. We'll do
    better to have a vocabulary that covers the grosser relations, like
    hydroxyl ion or acetic anhydride. Organic chemistry uses other language
    to describe its greater complexity. While the simple acid/base/salt/etc.
    that serves inorganic chemistry is inadequate, I assume that in principle
    the quantum relationships will explain the way proteins hold together and
    fold, the action of enzymes in catalyzing reactions, and the rest of the
    activities that we are just beginning to explore. We use very different
    vocabularies to describe these matters, but the common assumption is that
    a humungous quantum description could cover what goes on within and
    between the molecules.

    The next step gets us into controversy. While vitalism is officially
    dead, there is a kind of aura remaining, certainly when one asks about
    the origins of life, and often when the question of biological functions
    is raised. It appears that the more we learn about what goes on in a
    cell, the more we find an incredibly complex or chemical reactions under
    tight controls, also of a physical nature. We have to consider that, if
    chemical reactions of all sorts are in principle reducible to quantum
    considerations, then life can also be similarly reduced.

    I have in the above sloughed over the notion of emergence, that when
    stuff at a lower level becomes sufficiently complex and organized, new
    functions appear. To cite the usual illustration, a computer is a very
    complexly organized silicon pattern of minute impurities and metallic
    connections whose function can be explained in terms of the flow of
    minute current pulses. However, with the input of complex sets of bits,
    something like a conglomeration of data points that one cannot interpret
    can be input, processed and output in a form that can produce the famous
    aha! reaction. The "scientific" descriptions of phenomena do not usually
    take into account that, outside of the lab, all kinds of stuff is
    impacting and interacting with the unisolated stuff. In all our
    scientific investigations, we have not found more than matter.

    One can argue that this is because there is nothing other than matter in
    the universe. Or one can claim that the methods used can encounter
    nothing other than matter and the forces affecting it. I see no way to
    establish one of these as THE TRUTH by techniques acceptable to all.
    Things only get messier when mental phenomena are brought into the
    picture. Is emergence adequate, or is there something more--at least in
    human beings? In the end, we'll have to dig deep to understand what is
    going on among us. I suspect that most often we'll decide, "If you assume
    this, then that clearly follows. But I don't accept this." We're too
    limited to get further.
    Dave

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:49:55 -0500 "Howard J. Van Till"