Re: Nothing buttery

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 12:29:33 EST

    Howard posted, in part:

    "John: Here's a set of related questions for fun:

    1. Does physics have a conceptual vocabulary that is adequate to handle
    all the phenomena & questions that chemistry must deal with?
    2. Does physics/chemistry have a conceptual vocabulary that is adequate
    to handle all the phenomena & questions that biology must deal with?
    3. Does physics/chemistry/biology have a conceptual vocabulary that is
    adequate to handle all the phenomena & questions that a study of
    consciousness must deal with?"

    If the question assumes a date of Nov 17, 2001 CE, then obviously, the
    answers must be "no" to all three.

    If the question assumes a date of, say, Nov 17, 2525, then I'd say the
    answers are "possibly," "unlikely" and "still no."

    If the question assumes that the person answering has graduated to the
    heavenlies, and, presumably, knows more about such things (not a
    necessary assumption, of course), I'd guess that the answers are "yes,"
    "no" and "of course not, you silly goose."

    Does this help?

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)