Response to: What does the creation lack?

From: Peter Ruest (pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 04:52:12 EST

    "Howard J. Van Till" wrote:

    > >From: Peter Ruest <pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch>
    >
    > > My difference to Howard's view is the timing of God's introducing
    > > information. He believes it all occurred at the big bang, but I hold
    > > this as preposterously unlikely, given what we know of cosmology and
    > > biology. From theology, we know about providence, but what is its
    > > possible "mechanism" in scientific language?
    >
    > I have not found the idea of "introducing information" to be a
    > particularly fruitful language for talking about this issue.
    >
    > I prefer to speak of God giving being to a Creation that includes all
    > manner of _potential_ structures & configurations (including potential
    > organisms) and also with the formational capabilities for actualizing
    > these potentialities. The potentialities are there from the beginning
    > as part of the _being_ of the Creation. Actualization occurs in time
    > as formational capabilities (also there from the beginning) are
    > employed. Nothing (including information, however it is defined) needs
    > to be added to compensate for something not there.
    >
    > Howard

    Are you implying that life and all biological funtionalities emerged
    exclusively by chance (scientifically speaking)? I know that atheist
    biologists like Dawkins believe that; of course, wanting to be atheists,
    they have no other option. But we theists do have other options. On the
    scientific side, there is no evidence that random processes are
    sufficient in biology, but there are many indications that they are not
    (of course, there never is sufficient data to prove this statement, but
    neither is there for the opposite view). On the theological side, I
    don't see any reason to believe God wanted to "keep his hands off" the
    creation after an initial act, and there is plenty of biblical evidence
    that he is constantly (or at least very often) active in the affairs of
    humanity and in non-human creation.

    On this basis, the only adequate language I have encountered to date to
    use in these biological questions is the one of information (and
    language), even though finding the best definition of this type of
    information is a thorny problem.

    You say that physics (including chemistry) given at creation "includes
    all manner of _potential_ structures & configurations (including
    potential organisms)". This is obviously true, for else we could not
    exist. But what do you mean by "formational capabilities for actualizing
    these potentialities"? Does this just mean that a good (or even
    universal) computer language is adequate for producing all programs
    desired? Then you still need the programmer doing it. If the programmer
    had the entire program with all details in his mind, before ever sitting
    down at the keyboard, this just implies that this information was _not_
    yet in the computer as it was made. It's not very meaningful to talk of
    the programmer "compensating" for something "lacking" in the computer
    construction, when the initial intention was to build a universal
    computer. What does your expression mean in the biological realm, in
    scientific (not theological/philosophical) language?

    Peter