Darwin's views

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 20:55:06 EST

    some brief observations inspired from Michael
    Robert's article in PSCF:

    First, thanks Michael for forwarding the information and
    the pointer to your PSCF article, (PCSF: June 2000 p 84).
    I had completely missed it in all the clamoring stacks
    of reading materials I have to deal with. Recently,
    science journals seem to be following some version of
    Moore's Law: they double in thickness every four years.

    I think a major reason the YEC receives so much support
    is because, like a Buddhist mantra, both Christian
    and atheist writers keep repeating the same "Darwin
    destroyed belief in a six-day creation". Moreover, it
    is seen as a "rationalist against the inane and irrational
    believer" issue. It's no wonder Christians typically hang
    Darwin's picture like a "Goldstein" in a three minute hate
    session (see Orwell's 1984). Whereas I strongly disagree
    with YEC views, I would not call YEC thinking "irrational";
    especially in light of these repeated misconceptions.

    This is the first time I have encountered information that
    disputes that view point. In fact, before both you and
    Glenn Morton pointed out that almost nobody of credible
    distinction consider the earth to be 6000 years old, in
    the early 1800s, I was carrying around those misconception
    as well.

    I am a scientist and have read several general books
    on geology and molecular evolution. Evolution has never
    been an issue to my faith in Jesus Christ. In fact, for
    years, I avoided Christianity and Christians because
    I was under the impression that YEC was a doctrinal
    requirement for Christianity. Considering that I have
    at least _tried_ to educate myself, if I have been
    carrying so many misconceptions about Darwin and the
    young earth issue, I shudder to think how deeply this
    nonsense has been inculcated into the minds of the
    rest of the US population (where I come from and can
    speak from experience).

    by Grace alone we proceed,
    Wayne