Response to: What does the creation lack?

From: Peter Ruest (pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 10:59:45 EST

    Here, I am pooling three comments by John Burgeson and one by Howard Van
    Till.

    "Howard J. Van Till" <hvantill@novagate.com> wrote:

    >>From: Peter Ruest <pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch>
    >
    >Collecting a few brief remarks:
    >
    >> As process theology contradicts biblical theism, I reject it.
    >
    >> It appears to me that the "not omnipotent" qualification disqualifies P
    >from being biblical.
    >
    >"Biblical" is a remarkably flexible term. Note how often two persons in
    >radical disagreement each claim the higher moral ground by asserting that
    >their view is the "biblical" one.
    >
    >>From what I have now learnt, I would choose K.
    >
    >Fair enough. We all make choices
    >
    >> This makes it clear that P is not an option for Christians.
    >
    >Not at all fair. Please don't read those who choose P out of the Christian
    >family. I think God's family is much larger than the little clans that
    >huddle around their own theological campfires.
    >
    >Howard

    I apologize to anyone I may have offended by these comments about
    process theology. I certainly never intended to "read those who choose P
    out of the Christian family"! It's not up to me to call non-christian
    someone believing in Christ.

    I may not have been sufficiently careful in my formulations. Here are
    the statements causing my remarks about process theology:
    George Murphy:
    >He [Howard] has expressed some approval of the process theology views of
    > Griffin, which differ significantly from traditional doctrines of providence
    > in which God is omnipotent.
    Howard Van Till:
    >God is "supreme in power," but not omnipotent.
    George Murphy:
    >What I mean by the "general pattern" statement is that in P the limitation of
    > God - & also God's participation in the suffering of the world - are general
    > truths, of which Christ, & especially his cross, is one exemplar. He may be
    > a very important example, & for some P theologians even the motivation for a
    > process approach, but the whole system can be presented logically with no
    > reference to Christ. One can be a Christian process theologian, but one can
    > also be a Jewish one (cf. Kushner) or a philosophical one like Whitehead.
    > One important difference between K & P is that in the former Christ can't
    > be dispensed with & in P he can be (though he doesn't have to be).

    These statements are in line with what (little) I knew of process
    theology before. They confirm my rejection of process theology, as I
    consider its views to contradict the biblical revelation. Of course,
    there may be views I hold which also contradict the biblical revelation,
    and I would be thankful for anyone to call my attention to such points.

    Peter