RE: Evolution and the Image of god

From: Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@uncwil.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 20:26:08 EDT

    Evolutionary theory is supposed to be a complete theory of the origin of man.
    As a purely scientific theory, there is not need to invoke a Creator.
    Accordingly, there is no way anyone can make any sense of created or evolved
    in the image of God in the context of the theory. A Christian who believes in
    both Christ and evolution can reconcile the two in his/her mind but that is
    about it. It may take all sorts of intellectual contortions but one can do
    that. Moorad

> [...]
    >>develop a hybrid theory to salvage the Christian faith but it is laughable
    by
    >>committed evolutionists. The same is true of the notion of the Fall of Man.
    >>Any explanation is as ad hoc as believing Genesis literally. Moorad
    >

    >Below are some of my comments that I may have posted to this list before.
    >I do think that this is at least one way to understand the Image of God in
    >an evolutionary context.
    >
    >Our physical and genetic continuity with the rest of the
    >creation in no way excludes an historical Adam. However, since there is a
    >continuity of physical form from modern humans to our common ancestors with
    >the other great apes, there are no physical criteria by which the appearance
    of
    >the "image of God" could be identified in the fossil record.
    >
    >With regard to the implications of human evolution for the "image of God" I
    >will quote from an article that I wrote several years ago.
    >
    >"We are the image of God in creation - that is why the command against
    >making graven images is so powerful. We stand in a unique position within
    >creation - as God's representative, as His viceroy over the Earth. I
    >believe that the basis for that unique position is our dual nature. We
    >have at once a kinship with the rest of creation and with the creator.
    >Genesis describes the origin of humankind in precisely the same manner as
    >that of all other living things (Gen 2:7,9,19). The origin of our physical
    >nature is not different from that of other creatures -- we are made of the
    >same stuff. If God used and providentially controlled evolutionary
    >mechanisms in the creation of plants and animals, I see no reason to reject
    >an evolutionary origin for humankind. In fact, the testimony of both
    >scripture and nature is that we share a oneness with the rest of creation.
    >Our physical natures are inseparably connected to the rest of life on
    >Earth."
    >
    >"An inseparable part of being created as images of God in the world is the
    >authority delegated to us by God. We have been chosen out of creation as
    >God's representatives, His stewards. God commissioned us to "Be fruitful
    >and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish
    >of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that
    >moves on the ground" (Genesis 1:28). Adam was placed in the garden "to
    >work it and take care of it" (Genesis 2:15). Our ability to exercise this
    >divine commission to rule and care for creation is, I believe, based on our
    >dual nature. Our physical unity with the natural world is as vital to our
    >appointed role as image bearers as is our spiritual apprehension of the
    >divine." (Keith B. Miller, 1993, Theological implications of an evolving
    >creation: Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, vol. 45, p.150-160)
    >
    >The issue of Paul's comparison of Christ (the second Adam) with the first
    Adam