Evolution and the Image of god

From: Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 19:14:37 EDT

    >It seems to me there is no way one can make sense of man being created in the
    >image of God in the context of any scientific theory. Accordingly, such a
    >concept cannot exist in any evolutionary concept of the origin of man. One can
    >develop a hybrid theory to salvage the Christian faith but it is laughable by
    >committed evolutionists. The same is true of the notion of the Fall of Man.
    >Any explanation is as ad hoc as believing Genesis literally. Moorad

    Below are some of my comments that I may have posted to this list before.
    I do think that this is at least one way to understand the Image of God in
    an evolutionary context.

    Our physical and genetic continuity with the rest of the
    creation in no way excludes an historical Adam. However, since there is a
    continuity of physical form from modern humans to our common ancestors with
    the other great apes, there are no physical criteria by which the appearance of
    the "image of God" could be identified in the fossil record.

    With regard to the implications of human evolution for the "image of God" I
    will quote from an article that I wrote several years ago.

    "We are the image of God in creation - that is why the command against
    making graven images is so powerful. We stand in a unique position within
    creation - as God's representative, as His viceroy over the Earth. I
    believe that the basis for that unique position is our dual nature. We
    have at once a kinship with the rest of creation and with the creator.
    Genesis describes the origin of humankind in precisely the same manner as
    that of all other living things (Gen 2:7,9,19). The origin of our physical
    nature is not different from that of other creatures -- we are made of the
    same stuff. If God used and providentially controlled evolutionary
    mechanisms in the creation of plants and animals, I see no reason to reject
    an evolutionary origin for humankind. In fact, the testimony of both
    scripture and nature is that we share a oneness with the rest of creation.
    Our physical natures are inseparably connected to the rest of life on
    Earth."

    "An inseparable part of being created as images of God in the world is the
    authority delegated to us by God. We have been chosen out of creation as
    God's representatives, His stewards. God commissioned us to "Be fruitful
    and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish
    of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that
    moves on the ground" (Genesis 1:28). Adam was placed in the garden "to
    work it and take care of it" (Genesis 2:15). Our ability to exercise this
    divine commission to rule and care for creation is, I believe, based on our
    dual nature. Our physical unity with the natural world is as vital to our
    appointed role as image bearers as is our spiritual apprehension of the
    divine." (Keith B. Miller, 1993, Theological implications of an evolving
    creation: Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, vol. 45, p.150-160)

    The issue of Paul's comparison of Christ (the second Adam) with the first Adam
    is, I believe quite helpful in sorting through the issues. Sin and
    spiritual death "entered the world" through Adam, but life and
    righteousness through Jesus Christ. It seems that both Adam and Christ are
    being presented as respresentative heads of the human race. We bear the
    image of Christ in the same way that we formally bore the image of Adam.
    We are dealing here, I believe, not with physical realities but with with
    spiritual realities. Adam thus need not be the physical ancestor of all
    humans, anymore than Jesus is the physical ancestor of all those who
    believe in Him.

    How was God's "image" imparted to humanity? I think that there are a
    couple of options here. One common position is that God selected a
    particular individual into whom God imparted a spiritually conscious soul.
    A more monist (as opposed to dualist) view might be that God revealed
    himself to Adam thus bringing Adam into personal fellowship in a state of
    moral innocence. I am sure there are other approaches to this.

    Furthermore, as has been pointed out by George Murphy, the Image of God is
    revealed not in Adam but in Christ. We are to be conformed to His image --
    the image of one who sacrifically emptied himself and suffered for our
    sake.

    If Adam is not the genealogical ancestor of all humanity, then how can we
    understand the "image" to have been communicated to all humanity? Firstly,
    this is essentially the problem of the "pre-Adamites" which is hardly a
    consequence of an evolutionary view of human origins. The Biblical text
    itself raises these issues because a staightforward reading of the text
    implies that Adam and his immediate descendents lived in an already
    populated world (Gen, 4:13-26). Thus, these questions have to be answered
    regardless of whether an evolutionary origin is accepted.

    There are a number of issues here and I won't do justice to any of them.

    One consideration is that the origin of the "Image of God" which is
    associated with the creation of humankind in Genesis 1, is not the focus of
    the account of Adam in chapter 2 and following. The issue with Adam is not
    the origin of God-likeness but rather the origin of sin. In other words
    the two accounts are dealing with different issues. The representative
    headship of Adam has to do with sin and its consequence - spiritual death.

    I think that scripture allows us to view the "Image of God" as an act of
    grace poured out on God's chosen creatures when those creatures had in
    effect "come of age." Here the evolutionary origin of humanity provides
    some helpful metaphors. Here's one way to think about it : God
    providentially directed the evolutionary development of humans to the point
    at which they possessed the mental and emmotional capacity for conscious
    fellowship with Him. At that point, God revealed Himself and established a
    covenant relationship, making them divine representatives to the rest of
    creation.

    I believe that Adam could have been selected out from the rest of humanity
    for a special covenant relationship. This would be entirely consistent
    with the pattern of God's interaction with the human race revealed
    throughout scripture. God selects a particular individual through whom to
    accomplish His redemptive will. There is first Adam, then Noah, Abram,
    Joseph, Moses, and Jesus. God seems to repeatedly focus the entire future
    of His will for His chosen on the obedience of a single individual.

    How is the sin condition (original sin) passed on? This question is
    related to the question: How is Christ's righteousness imputed to us? - By
    grace through faith.
    There is some act of the will on my part involved. I must willingly accept
    that offer of grace. What if we make a parallel with the transmission of
    sin? When I am born I am innocent (I do not mean righteous). However, at
    the first opportunity I choose to be disobedient - I sin and come under the
    curse of Adam which is spiritual death. Thus, Adam's curse is imputed to
    me by my sharing in his sin, just as Christ's righteousness is imputed to
    me by faith. "Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man,
    and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all
    sinned" (Rom 5:12). My reading is that there are none who are without sin
    except Christ, thus there are none who are morally righteous yet still
    condemned by Adam's sin. We are condemned because we sin. Therefore I do
    not understand that sin itself is something that is passed on thru direct
    descent.

    The question then is, why do we all sin? This is where my views get even
    more speculative. It has been suggested by some that our physical desires
    and drives, which were part of God's good creation enabling us to survive
    and flourish as a species, became aspects of our humanity that God called
    us to overcome as His image bearers. In other words, God desires that His
    character be developed in us through our encounter with and overcoming of
    temptation and trial (Gen 2:15-17; Gen 4:6-7). And He has not left us in
    that process without providing us with His gracious power - if we choose to
    accept it. This provides, I believe, a useful basis for working out a
    theodicy of pain and suffering. I have found the book "Evil and the God of
    Love" by John Hick to be very helpful to me in thinking through theodicy
    issues.

    Keith

    Keith B. Miller
    Department of Geology