Re: Phil Johnson

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 18:07:04 EDT

    In a message dated 9/29/01 2:22:43 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
    joela@nts.umn.edu writes:

    > > We might disagree as to whether his overall impact is positive or
    > > negative,
    >
    > Okay, I'll vote. Positive.

    And I would vote Negative, but as Joel pointed out, that isn't the issue.
    Maybe we should imagine if it were somebody that all of us on this list
    (rather than approximately half of us as in Johnson's case) feel do harm to
    the witness of the Gospel. What if Carl Baugh had a stroke? I think most of
    us would be relieved if he were silenced somehow. But Scripture seems pretty
    clear that we should not wish for or celebrate calamity on even such a
    buffoon as Baugh -- instead we should bless and pray for him.

    As much as I disagree with Mr. Johnson on some matters, and as much as I wish
    he would *voluntarily* be silent rather than pursuing his misguided
    anti-evolution crusade, I join with others on this list (everybody but one
    person as far as I can tell) in wishing God's comfort and healing for this
    brother. And I could use God's healing for that part of me that is tempted
    to wish him ill.

    Dr. Allan H. Harvey, Boulder, Colorado | SteamDoc@aol.com
    "Any opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be
     attributed to my employer, my wife, or my cats"