Re: Phil Johnson

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 20:51:35 EDT

    "Moorad Alexanian" wrote:

    > It seems to me there is no way one can make sense of man being created in the
    > image of God in the context of any scientific theory.

            Of course not because the natural sciences don't deal with God. The claim
    that the human was created in the image of God is one of theology, not of natural
    science. The relationship between that theological concept & the understanding of
    humanity gained by the sciences is to be found by placing science in the context
    of a theology based on revelation. When that is done, science may in turn help us
    better to formulate our theology.
            Trying to discover the image of God from science is like trying to
    discover justice from electrodynamics.

    > Accordingly, such a
    > concept cannot exist in any evolutionary concept of the origin of man. One can
    > develop a hybrid theory to salvage the Christian faith but it is laughable by
    > committed evolutionists.

            This is the tired old argument that theistic evolution can't be true
    because atheists don't like it for being theistic. The argument is of course
    worthless.

    > The same is true of the notion of the Fall of Man.
    > Any explanation is as ad hoc as believing Genesis literally.

            Again of course "the Fall of Man [sic]" is a theological concept, not a
    scientific one.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy