Re: Evolution and the Image of god

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 22:26:20 EDT

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2001 20:26:08 -0400 "Moorad
    Alexanian<alexanian@uncwil.edu>" <alexanian@uncwil.edu> writes:
    > Evolutionary theory is supposed to be a complete theory of the origin
    > of man.
    > As a purely scientific theory, there is not need to invoke a
    > Creator.
    > Accordingly, there is no way anyone can make any sense of created or
    > evolved
    > in the image of God in the context of the theory. A Christian who
    > believes in
    > both Christ and evolution can reconcile the two in his/her mind but
    > that is
    > about it. It may take all sorts of intellectual contortions but one
    > can do
    > that. Moorad

    Moorad,
    I have a grave problem with your claim that there is a "complete theory"
    in science, any field. One way this is a possible claim is with the
    assumption of scientism, which is a nonsense theory because the basis of
    the scientific approach cannot be justified scientifically. Further,
    given every possible scientific explanation for an event, they are not so
    comprehensive that nonscientific explanations are also available--both
    "natural" and "supernatural." The other way this is possible is to
    accept the deistic view that whatever is explained scientifically cannot
    be ascribed to God's handiwork. Since the universe is held together by
    Christ, this also cannot be held by a Christian who understands the
    connection between what God does and what we study. If there is a further
    basis for your claim, I don't think of it now. But I will confidently
    predict that it can have no place in an adequate Christian view of doing
    science.
    Dave