Dr. Henry Schaefer and YECism

From: CMSharp01@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 02:43:45 EST

    I went to a public talk this evening at the University of Arizona given
    by Dr. Henry Schaefer, who is a quantum chemist (and Nobel Prize
    nominee), and who is also an evangelical Christian. The talk was
    billed as being on "Ten Questions Intellectuals Ask About Christianity",
    although in fact about 18 questions were dealt with. These were
    standard questions like can you prove God exists, and why does God
    allow suffering? I thought there would be more of a scientific context,
    in particular the interaction (or lack thereof) between science and
    theology, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

    After the talk there was about 1/2 hour for public questions fielded by
    the audience, followed by time for questions on a one-to-one basis
    out at the front. Inevitably some of the questions involved creation and
    evolution. During the talk or during the formal question time, I can't
    remember which, Dr.Schaefer made it clear that he was reluctant to
    discuss the age of the earth/universe, stating that he would get into
    trouble with his wife (who I don't believe was there), as he said he
    disagreed with his wife on the age of the earth/universe. Clearly his
    wife is a YEC, but he is obviously not. He mentioned the Big Bang on
    a couple of occasions and said he had no trouble with long ages for the
    earth. It would be impossible of course to imagine a Nobel Prize
    nominee being a YEC anyway.

    However, I was a bit disturbed by his response to a question posed
    during the formal question session when someone asked if the speed
    of light was decreasing. Dr.Schaefer clearly stated that
    measurements in the last 100 years or so showed no change, and
    any changes observed would be due to experimental errors. However,
    rather than going further and stating that there was no observational
    evidence that the speed of light has changed in the past, he talked
    about the fact that we had to make uniformitarium assumptions, as
    these were consistent with the observations, and gave the impression,
    I think, to the audience that there might be an uncertainty about this,
    without stating it explicitly. In view of the fact that he had earlier
    stated that the fundamental constants are very well tuned, I thought
    that the impression he gave about the speed of light was surprising.

    After the formal questions I went up and pressed him on this point,
    stating that from the spectral lines of distant galaxies and the
    observed fine structure constant we can see that the velocity of
    light was the same in the past. Being a quantum chemist he would
    of course have known this. His reply to me was that any possible
    change in the speed of light would have been before the Planck time,
    about 10^-43 seconds after the Big Bang, and clearly the velocity of
    light has been constant since then. He was also very reluctant to
    get into any discussion when I mentioned the ICR and AiG, which he
    knew to be YEC organizations.

    From the fact that he was a little bit ambiguous in public about his
    views of the speed of light, and played down YECism, it's seems to
    be clear to me that he regards YEC as somewhat as an
    embarrassment to evangelical Christianity, but tries to avoid the
    subject so as not to alienate any YECs present.

    These are my musing right or wrong, anyway.

    Christopher M. Sharp
    http://www.csharp.com