RE: Dr. Henry Schaefer and YECism

From: Peter Brunt (PBrunt@nmit.ac.nz)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 17:53:27 EST

    M.B.Roberts contributed:

    > Following Henry Schaefer and his lecture, I am a Traditionalist especially
    > in my chemistry. I take a traditional (1820s) view of the Atomic weight
    of
    > Carbon and accept the same as Darwin did in his only chemical notes.
    > I believe that the Atomic weight of Carbon is 6 and not 12.

    > Why shouldnt I teach that in schools or colleges as it is my honest
    belief?

    You are entitled to your beliefs but their validity surely has to have
    credibility with your peers, many if not most of whom would not share them.
    Science is a public enterprise which relies on consistent results having the
    most likely interpretation. But then you know that!

    You should not be able to teach your views for while they are honestly held
    they are not accepted by your peers as our understanding of the world and
    more importantly do not align with our understanding of the truth.

    Michael, you may continue to live in your pre-neutron world but not many
    will join you.
    After all do your views really advance the world and our interpetation of
    it?

    Sadly this is where many YECers would take us, if they could. Credibility
    is important here!
    Peter Brunt