Re: Dr. Henry Schaefer and YECism

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 10:17:16 EST

    In a message dated Thu, 22 Feb 2001 2:44:38 AM Eastern Standard Time, CMSharp01@aol.com writes:

    <<
    From the fact that he was a little bit ambiguous in public about his
    views of the speed of light, and played down YECism, it's seems to
    be clear to me that he regards YEC as somewhat as an
    embarrassment to evangelical Christianity, but tries to avoid the
    subject so as not to alienate any YECs present.

    I know Fritz Schaefer, and I think your characterization is accurate. He is (or at least was last I knew) on the board of the Intelligent Design part of the Discovery Institute. A part of their "big tent" strategy is to embrace all opponents of "Darwinism," even those on the YEC fringe that many might consider embarrassing. So, like the rest of the ID movement, he's reluctant to oppose falsehood when it comes from underneath the big tent, which I find a bit disappointing.

    Allan Harvey, steamdoc@aol.com