Evidence and proof; was More on Gosse's OMPHALOS

From: Iain Strachan (iain@istrachan.clara.co.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 14:47:10 EST

    I wrote on the ideas of a "deceptive God"

    [snipped for brevity]

    George replied:

    > You make a very interesting point here. God does indeed work in a
    > hidden way in evolution, & in a sense in everything God does (Is.45:15), &
    > especially in the cross. So to the extent that hiddenness is deceptive,
    yes,
    > God is deceptive.
    > Moreover, this deceptiveness has in common with the deceptiveness
    of
    > apparent age arguments
    > the idea that we have to give revelation priority over scientific
    investigation
    > if we are to know the truth about God's relationship with the world.
    > But there are also profound differences. The apparent age
    argument
    > requires God to have filled the universe with false information - i.e.,
    apparent
    > evidence for billions of years of evolution which never happened.
    Acceptance
    > of revelation then requires us to "see through" this pseudo-evidence &
    realize
    > that the history which it seems to point to is unreal. Creation through
    > evolution OTOH doesn't require false evidence: The billions of years of
    > evolution really happened. Revelation requires us to "see beyond" - not
    "see
    > through" this evidence to believe that God has been at work in what has
    been
    > happening.

    That is of course a very valid point; perhaps the one kind of deception is
    "worse" than the other kind. But what we have to do is to be absolutely
    sure that the "evidence" really proves evolution.

    I'll come clean and say I'm extremely skeptical about evolution, though I
    wouldn't go as far as to say I could wholly support the YEC scenario -
    though recently it's seemed more plausible than it has before. But my
    reasons for skepticism towards evolution have to do with my own experiences
    using "genetic algorithms" (GA's), a form of machine learning "inspired" by
    evolution. While this area of work has proved useful in a few niche areas,
    I think there are sound theoretical reasons supporting what I found
    empirically; that the algorithms only solve small scale problems, but cannot
    solve problems involving more than a few dozen variables. I won't go into
    intricate details here, but it has to do with what is known as the "curse of
    dimension", a term coined by the control theorist Bellman in 1961.
    Essentially it shows that certain types of problem in high dimensional space
    have a computational complexity (i.e. run time) that scales exponentially
    with the problem dimension. As no-one (to my knowledge) has managed to get
    a genetic algorithm to train up a simple neural network with a few dozen
    parameters, it seems likely to me that even billions of years isn't going to
    be long enough to develop complex specific protein codes. That's all I'll
    say on GA's for the moment; maybe later it's a possible thread of
    discussion.

    However, returning to what we take as "evidence" and what we take as
    "proof", let me quote from the UK "Daily Telegraph" two days ago, describing
    the results of the genome project:

    "Equally the discovery that we share great chunks of genetic code with
    creatures such as worms, flies, weeds and mice, shows how we are all
    descendents of a single organism that emerged four billion years ago: this
    is FIRM PROOF [emphasis mine] for the theories of Charles Darwin, said Sir
    John Sulston, of the Sanger Centre, near Cambridge."

    Now, first of all, as this is reported, rather than direct speech, I'll say
    that I don't know if this was what Sulston actually said, or if it was an
    extrapolation made by the Science Editor of The Daily Telegraph, who wrote
    the article. However, I think it's patently a non sequitur, and doesn't
    constitute "firm proof" at all. The best that can be said is that the
    evidence doesn't contradict the notion. Neither does it contratict the
    standard Creationist principle that all the diverse life forms were created
    in the beginning by God. Both assertions are untestable (no one was around
    to see what happened), so both are, to that extent statements of belief
    rather than scientific theories.

    (1) First of all, it doesn't prove we are all descended from a single
    ancestor, as the following argument shows. Most people today tend to use
    PC's running one of Microsoft's operating systems (apologies for offending
    any Mac or Unix users out there ;-). Such systems run a great diversity of
    different programs; Word processors, Spreadsheets, E-mail clients, Browsers,
    Graphics packages, etc. Furthermore almost all of these programs have a
    menu-bar at the top, with such items as "File" , "Edit", etc. These menu
    bars all function in the same way. You click on the word with your mouse
    pointer, and up pops a list of options. All of these functions are produced
    by the same bit of computer code. If one were to disassemble the machine
    code, and figure out what happens when a menu pops up, you would find it was
    always the same set of instructions being obeyed, no matter what the program
    you tried it on. This is, of course not surprising; the functionality is all
    contained in "library code" which is used in all programs. As I have
    developed programs in to run under Microsoft Windows, I can tell you that in
    any moderate sized program you develop, 80-90% of the code is in fact taken
    up by such library code, that you didn't write. (A lot is needed; simple
    things like formatting text, filling pixels on screens when you hit a
    button, drawing lines and so forth). The new stuff that you wrote, to make
    your own program with its own very specific function constitutes
    approximately 10% of the code. I hope the analogy is clear from the above.

    So on the basis of the "common Genetic code" argument, we are supposed to
    draw the conclusion that all Microsoft Windows programs evolved from a
    common ancestor? That there was one functioning program that did, we don't
    know what; call it "ADAM.EXE". Then all programmers from there onwards took
    copies of the source code of ADAM.EXE, and modified them slightly and passed
    it on to others. Gradually there was a branching, and one branch led to
    Word for Windows, and another led to Excel, and so forth. And that someone
    at Corel pinched the source code of Word for Windows and evolved it into
    Corel Draw.

    Of course it didn't happen like that. What happened was that a clever
    programmer at Microsoft designed a standard set of tools (known as the
    "Windows Applications Programming Interface" (API) for short, without any
    particular application in mind, but which would be of general use to other
    developers, who then pick up the tools, and develop from scratch a word
    processor, or a spreadsheet, or whatever they wanted.

    What is going on here is similar, I suggest, to the Creationist model. God
    creates a diverse variety of life forms, having first designed His own
    "API", a set of genetic code sequences that perform basic functions for
    cells in all different life forms (such as generating energy, assisting in
    the replication of DNA, etc).

    Later on in the Telegraph, Sulston is quoted directly "It is the unity of
    life, or Nature being conservative, or the idea of the Blind Watchmaker -
    the notion of evolution as a constant reworking or random recombining of
    parts". But I don't think the alternative; that it is God, rather than
    Nature being conservative; the Sighted Watchmaker, if you like, is any more
    implausible or inconsistent with the "common code" evidence.

    (2) Even if we accept the idea of a common ancestor then I think there are
    serious problems implied by that. This common ancestor is a highly complex
    piece of specified information. It has an entire "Windows API" encoded into
    itself, all that apparently designed machinery. But evolution is supposed
    to start from something very simple that comes together by chance, and then
    add complexity via the process of copying errors and natural selection. In
    the "Selfish Gene" Richard Dawkins writes, in biblical parody of which he is
    so fond: "In the beginning was simplicity". So we are left to try and
    explain how the primordial ancestor got all that complexity. It, too, must
    have have evolved from something simpler, and once it appeared, it must have
    wiped out everything else that didn't contain the common code that we see in
    practicaly all life forms today. I for one find that hard to imagine;
    perhaps it should be called "Microbial Noah"? I think I would prefer to
    believe that it was put there by an Intelligent Designer (and one, IMHO,
    who has a lot more intelligence than the average Microsoft programmer).
    (Sorry about the last dig; I wouldn't want anyone to get the idea that I was
    a "fan" of Mr. Gates's empire!)

    Best regards,
    Iain.