Re: Bryan and Scopes trial

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 14:47:55 EST

    Ted,

    << I don't share Bill Payne's point that Bryan died "in humiliation" a few
    days
     after the Scopes trial. He died, yes, but after what most fundamentalists
     regarded as a victory for their side: ETC>>

    This raises a question I have been wanting to ask you. I am hypothesizing
    that whenever the Church has gone up against modern science on a particular
    scientific issue, i.e, modern science says, "X", but the Bible says, "not X"
    that the Church has at least over time lost the battle. Would you agree with
    this or can you tell me of exceptions?

    Also, I agree with you that White's A History of the Warfare... is not
    trustworthy, at least in the details; but, would you say it is fundamentally
    reliable? And, is there a substitue book(s) that covers the same ground more
    soundly? And, if not, is there some source(s) where one could check on
    White's presentations?

    Paul