Re: More on Gosse's OMPHALOS

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 19:41:51 EST

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Iain Strachan wrote:

    > So now what you have is the
    > appearance of a random process, but which is not random, but guided subtly
    > by God in a manner so it appears to be random. To parody Einstein's famous
    > quote "God does not play at dice", we find that "God plays dice most of the
    > time, but sometimes He cheats and gets aways with it". To me, that also
    > seems deceptive.

    Iain,

    You have posed a very interesting question: If some happenings appear to
    us to be random, is God being deceptive?

    Apparent nonrandomness exists in the world; otherwise science would be
    impossible since it is concerned with detecting patterns. It seems that
    the problem for atheists is to explain how seemingly nonrandom events or
    processes are ultimately the result of random ones. We theists, on the
    other hand, trust that our sovereign Lord is behind seemingly random
    events even though we don't know exactly what to expect.

    If I calculated the decimal expansion of the cube root of pi and wrote
    down every seventh digit of that expansion for the first few thousand
    digits, and if in my absence you found the piece of paper on my desk with
    that sequence of numbers and assumed that they were the result of some
    process involving only throwing dice, flipping coins, etc., would you be
    justified in considering me to be deceptive because the numbers appeared
    to be random but in fact weren't chosen at random? If you knew me well
    enough and found my sequence of numbers, you would probably conclude that
    there was some sensible reason for that particular sequence, even though
    you hadn't figured out what it was. Your not being able to detect a
    pattern doesn't mean that you should assume that there is none and claim
    that you were deceived if that is not the case.

    That is my reaction to your interesting question.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado
    Boulder, CO 80309-0395