Where is man? (was RE: Faith was: Creation Ex Nihilio and other journals)

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 01:28:07 EST

    Howard van Till wrote:

> [...]

    And I presume you are completely happy with the total mis-match between the
    account and topography and physics of the more classically suggested sites
    for the flood? Do you think water flows uphill in Mesopotamia? You are a
    better physicist than that! So what you do is decide that the details of the
    account don't matter. If that is true, if the details truly don't matter to
    the truth of the story, then the account might very well not be about a
    flood but about a country bumpkin going to the big city.

    What exists and what has been found are entirely two different things in the
    archeological record. Until 1959, no evidence of mankind (genus Homo) on
    earth prior to 500,000 years had been observed. It existed but hadn't been
    found. Why? they hadn't looked in the correct place. But in that year, Louis
    Leakey discovered a fossil hominid that was 3 times older than any
    previously known. It also left a nearly 1 million year gap in the record of
    fossil man. Obviously if man existed 1.5 myr ago and also at .5 million
    years ago, he had to exist in the middle, yet at that time, there was no
    evidence for his existence during this interval. Over the next 20 years,
    evidence for mankind was pushed back by another million years. The earliest
    evidence of the genus Homo on earth is now from a jawbone found in Malawi.
    Statistically, (given the fact that we don't ever find the absolutely
    earliest individual in a new species) this means that the earliest expected
    member of our genus should be somewhere around 3.5 myr. But that is only an
    expected value--it might be larger, it might be smaller. But below I give
    the demonstrable gaps in the fossil record between the first and 2nd fossil
    examples of various animals. During the long time gaps, we KNOW that the
    animals existed, but we have no evidence of their existence. One can't
    treat the fossil record in the rigid manner you are. It is a statistical
    thing.

    > Taxonomic group Temporal gap between first and second oldest known
    fossil

    > caecilians 100 million years
    > tetrapod 7 million years
    > dinosaur 12 million years
    > african turtle 60 myr
    > tarsier 30 myr
    > birds 8 myr
    > coprolites 22 myr
    > mushrooms 69 myr
    > sharks 25 myr
    > vascular plants 20 myr
    > tube worms 420 myr
    > pollen eating insect 150 myr
    > proboscidean 10 myr
    > chordate 10 myr
    > land snails 200 myr
    > crayfish 65 myr
    > Tribosphenida 25 myr
    > birds with beaks 65 myr
    > ascomycetous fungi 250 myr
    > angiosperm 10 myr
    > archaeocete whale 3.5 myr
    > therizinosaur 94 myr
    > Maldybulakia arthropod 40 myr
    > grass 30 myr
    > sponges 50 myr
    > gorilla 3.5 myr
    > Onychophoreans 210 myr

    One could go on and on. All I am asking for is a mere 3 million year gap
    between the first appearance of man, and the first appearance of EVIDENCE of
    man--a smaller gap than any of those above. Why exactly is this an
    unreasonable expectation, Howard? Or do you not believe in statistics?

    personal stories of struggle