FW: Where is man? (was RE: Faith was: Creation Ex Nihilio and other journals)

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 09:40:12 EST

    This didn't make it to the asa either:

    And both were wrong about the age of the strata which have been purported to
    be due to the great mesopotamian flood.

         “The task of adapting this archaeological hypothesis to the
    chronological implications of the Sumerian texts has on the whole proved
    less difficult than one would have imagined. One initial problem concerned
    the date and significance of the Flood, which figures so prominently in
    Sumerian tradition and whose memory has indeed been bequeathed to ourselves
    through the medium of Hebrew scriptures. The archaeological evidence in
    this connection was unfortunately extremely equivocal. Great floods were a
    commonplace of Mesopotamian history until quite recent times; and it was
    therefore less than surprising to find that, in deep soundings at relevant
    Sumerian sites, clean strata of water-borne sand or clay appeared in
    stratigraphical contexts which varied in time from the Ubaid period at Ur to
    the end of the Early Dynastic phase at Kish. At Farah (Shuruppak), however,
    a stratum of this sort occurs at the end of Early Dynastic I, and in this
    single case it could, as we shall now see, be cited (with out much
    conviction) as supporting evidence for an inference from the Sumerian
    textural evidence.” ~ Seton Lloyd, The Archaeology of Mesopotamia, (New
    York: Thames and Hudson, 1978), p. 92

    >As nice as the Mediterranean flood is from a geological point of
    >view, it is
    >far from agreeing with the details of the biblical account.
    >
    >1. The date of the Flood
    >The genealogy of Gen 11:10-26 only gives 10 generations from the Flood to
    >Abraham.

    So you are a YEC in sheep's clothing. :-) I knew it! And of course you
    believe that men during that time lived as long as the Bible says? What I
    don't understand here is the choosing of this fact (10 generations) as a
    means of arguing for your position and then I know you will argue against
    the age of the Patriarchs at that time, and you will argue against the
    historicity of much of that part of the Bible. So why are we to believe
    that the number of generations in Gen. 11 is somehow literal fact, when you
    believe that nothing else in that chapter is literal fact. What
    distinguishes the 10 generations information from the other information in
    that passage?

     Even if the genealogy has left out some generations, it cannot be
    >stretched to 5.5 million years. Such a stretch would mean that on average,
    >there were over 500,000 years between each generation! How could an oral
    >tradition be kept in tact from even the first generation to the
    >second, much
    >less through ten of them? No one can claim to take the genealogy seriously
    >and do this to it. In addition, the tower of Babel follows the Flood
    >biblical details
    >are accurate). Are we really to believe that mankind spoke the
    >same language
    >from 5.5 million BC until 3500 BC?

    I can't tell you how long oral tradition can last, but I know that the
    evidence that Neanderthal left (in the form of bear bone deposits) which
    inicates a bear cult or bear worship, are very much like the bear bone
    deposits left by modern humans who we know worship the bear. If there was
    any cultural connection then we have an oral tradition lasting 80,000 years
    plus. And I think there must have been because the only place the bear is
    worshipped is in the circumpolar, cold regions which is where the
    Neanderthals lived as well.

    >2. The depth and extent of the Flood:
    >The biblical account describes the Flood as covering "all the high
    >mountains"
    >(Gen 7:19); and the mountains of Urartu (Ararat) are in view (Gen
    >8:4). Since
    >Urartu centered around Lake Van, the Bible is describing a flood
    >that covered
    >mountains a good 10,000 feet higher than the Mediterranean Sea.
    >There is no
    >way the bursting dam of the Mediterranean (or the Black Sea) could
    >result in
    >flood waters rising that high or covering an area that broad.

    We have gone around about that one. If my explanation for the Ararat
    mountains won't work (which is that they extend to the SW to the sea), then
    why on earth do you use this fact (that the Bible says that the high
    mountains were covered), to argue against my position. In the Mesopotamian
    flood of your preference, those mountains weren't covered either. So why are
    you saying I should cover the Lake Van region when you don't? Seems a bit
    inconsistent. Those mountains are also 10,000 feet higher than Shurupak as
    well. If you cover those mountains with water, you have a global
    flood--indeed that is the only way to cover those mountains with water.

    So tell me again why this is a point in favor of your Mesopotamian view? I
    can't see it.

    >3. The landing place of the ark:
    >The ark lands in the mountains of Urartu (Gen 8:4). Although
    >Urartu may have
    >come within a couple hundred miles or so of Adana, it is still
    >necessary to
    >get the ark up at least 1000 and probably 1500 feet or more higher
    >than the
    >level of the Mediterranean to have it's landing spot match the biblical
    >account. And, given that Urartu centered around Lake Van and only
    >extended so
    >far west for around 30 of its 300-year existence, it is improbable
    >that the
    >bibliical account is referring to mountains that far west or that low. The
    >most probable interpretation of the biblical account, if the details are
    >accurate, is that the ark landed at least a mile above sea level.

    So you are a literalist after all. Here is another fact from the Biblical
    record that you think is rock solid and must be paid attention to. Why is it
    necessary to get them up 1000 feet into what you believe is the actual area
    of the old Uruartu.The Bible doesn't say that the ark landed in the area
    under the political control of the Urartians. It says they landed on the
    Mountains of Ararat It seems that you pick and chose what Biblical facts are
    to be paid attention to. . Go look at
    http://www.lib.utexas.edu/Libs/PCL/Map_collection/Atlas_middle_east/Turkey_m
    ap.jpg

    What you will see is a continuous mountain chain from Anamur along the
    southern coast going up towards Goksun NE of Adana, goint up to Tunceli,
    Bingol, Mus, Bitlis and passing south of Lake Van. It is one long continuous
    mountain chain as can clearly be seen on any topo map if one wants to take
    the time to look at it. And remember that when I advocate the flood was, the
    plain of Adana would not have been there. The Seyhan Nehri river would have
    deposited that delta afterwards.

    >4. The cultural level at the time of the Flood
    >Although one can posit a Chalcolithic culture (as Gen 4 specifies) at 5.5
    >million BC, it is improbable archaeologically and is a violation
    >of Occam's
    >valuable principle that entities to support a theory should not be
    >multiplied.

    This one, I won't argue with you over. I can't prove my position here.

    >5. The source of the water of the Flood
    >In the biblical account, the water is from the sea which is above the
    >firmament and below the earth, the waters of the great Deep which surround
    >the biblical universe (Gen 7:11). The water that produced the Flood is not
    >from the sea surrounding the earth, that is, the sea inside the biblical
    >universe; but this sea is the source of the water in the
    >Mediterranean flood.

    Once again, you take a literal approach to what the Bible says, You are
    telling me that the detail of where the water came from is rock solid and
    should be paid attention to. Otherwise you couldn't argue as you are. But
    in the Mesopotamian flood, the water didn't come from the waters of the
    great deep. I looked up this term in Strong's which is used in Genesis 7:11.

    H8415 (Usually feminine) from H1949; an abyss (as a surging mass of water),
    especially the deep (the main sea or the subterranean water supply):—deep
    (place), depth.

    I see the words 'the main sea' here. The water which was held back by the
    Gibraltar dam was the main sea. When the dam failed it would produce a
    surging mass of water. I don't see where that can happen in the Mesopotamian
    flood view. So if you want to tell us that we must pay attention to the
    meaning of this word, the deep, then you ought to also. I did a search on
    this word. It used in conjunction with the sea most of the time. Only
    occasionally is it used for a spring.

    >6. The land after the Flood
    >After the biblical Flood the land that was flooded dries off. The
    >land that
    >was flooded by the Mediterranean flood is still under water. The
    >Mediterranean theory cannot account for Gen 8:5-13.

    And as I have pointed out before to you, Genesis 6:13 clearly says God will
    destroy the land. "I will destroy them with the earth[land]" Those people
    he utterly destroyed, but if your view of the Mesopotamian flood is true,
    then the land is not destroyed. It still is. In my view, it is indeed
    destroyed. It is no longer land.

    >In short, the Mediterranean hypothesis is at least as far from the
    >biblical
    >description as any other hypothesis and probably further. The only way out
    >for those who hold it "is to make the flood account be a nice
    >little story in
    >which the details don't matter."
    >
    >This brings me to the point of this post: All evangelicals, regardless of
    >their theory of the Flood, are rejecting some biblical data. Consequently,
    >there is no place for speaking against the theories of others in capital
    >letters---whether actually written or only inferred by attitude. True?

    I think the thing that has irritated me a bit lately is that many here have
    rejected my view, NOT ON THE BASIS OF FACTS WHICH FALSIFY MY VIEW, but upon
    the basis that one crucial piece of evidence is missing. And then they run
    to a 'safe' view which has so much data falsifying that view, that one must
    wonder if facts mean anything to us Christians. And this is what I am really
    struggling with. If facts don't mean anything to christians when it comes to
    our theology, then what is the worth of that theology? Our religion is a
    historically based religion. If what we present to the world as REAL
    history, isn't REAL, then one must rationally ask if we ourselves are
    believing a lie.

    What you say about ignoring or rejecting data can also be said of all
    scientists and scientific theories. But we don't have scientists rejecting
    data willy-nilly or accepting only those facts that support their view and
    rejecting all others. Nor do we have scientists accepting clearly falsified
    views. We should reject as little data as possible and go for the view that
    rejects as little as possible. There is a big temptation to erect a filter
    which allows in only data that supports one's view. The YECs do this; I
    think the old-earthers who reject and denigrat concordism, do the same
    thing. In the above you chose to select certain facts which supported your
    argument, even if in selecting them to pound on me, you undermined your
    larger argument that we shouldn't really pay much attention to the details
    of the scriptural account. Having spent the first 20 years of my adult life
    living with a one-way YEC filter, I don't intend to go back to another
    one-way-OEC filter. Yes, we all have to squirm with some of the data, but
    that doesn't mean that that is a good thing to do. It doesn't even make it
    correct. We should come to grips with the maximal amount of data both from
    science and from the Bible and put together scenarios that actually honor
    the maximal amount of data from both sides. To do otherwise is to create a
    one-way filter which creates a viewpoint which doesn't recognize
    falsifications of the viewpoint. YEC can't be falsified because the
    adherents don't allow in data that would falsify their view. But then
    Mesopotamian flood advocates don't allow in the facts which would falsify
    their view either. Facts like:

    1 Big ship full of animals flows uphill against the flow of water to land
    several thousand feet above its starting point.

    2 No widespread Holocene flood deposit, which would be the natural outgrowth
    of such an event and indeed such evidence exists elsewhere on earth where
    there were large floodings--like the channeled scablands of Washington.

    3 The water flow would have pushed the ark into the Indian Ocean

    4 The flood couldn't have lasted a year.

    5 No mountains were covered with water.

    6 Continuous civilization throughout the period you all want the flood. The
    Software Toolworks Multimedia Encyclopedia states that Ur was inhabited from
    the 5th millennium BC (at least 4000 B.C) until 400 B.C. The city existed
    uninterrupted over that period (even the famous flood layer at Ur did not
    cover the entire town). It is difficult to see how there could have been a
    flood of such a magnitude that would get special note. The Mesopotamian
    flood is a flood without effect!

    Paul, what is the difference between a YEC advocate and a Mesopotamian
    advocate? The YEC advocate ignores data on the age of the earth in order to
    save the veracity of his viewpoint while the Mespotamian advocate ignores
    physics and the Biblical account in order to save the veracity of his
    viewpoint. What is the difference????? The rational thing to do in light of
    this is to say that this flood didn't happen then and there. It is simply
    not rational to claim that the Mesopotamian view is true and then twist
    physics, the geology, the archeology and the account to make it so. I won't
    play that dangerous game anymore regardless of whether anyone believes my
    view or not.

    personal stories of struggle