Re: RE: Demand for Definiton of Design

From: RDehaan237@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 06:09:36 EDT

    In a message dated 7/3/2000 7:39:11 PM, bandstra@ese.ogi.edu writes:

    << Bob,

    Your trilobite example indicates to me that "intelligent design" simply
    means that nature is complex and interconnected. So complex that one may
    have a difficult time excepting the hypothesis that undirected events are
    responsible. Is this what you mean to convey?

    (snip)

    If ID is something different than the idea that the world is
    mind-bogglingly complex then some sort of definition would be quite helpful
    in trying to understand the various claims that are being made.

    Joel,

    Yes, I have a difficult time accepting (I gather that's the word you mean)
    the hypothesis that undirected events are responsible for the formation of
    the biconvex lens of the trilobite eye. I find it mind-bogglingly complex.
    If your mind isn't boggled by it, I wonder why.

     Here's what I find difficult to understand. Riccardo Levi-Straus (
    _Trilobites_, 1993) whose work I quoted, gives no indication of being a
    Christian or even religious; yet he writes with unabashed wonder at the
    detailed design of the biconvex trilobite eye. Yet you dismiss the wonder of
    it with words that it "simply means that nature is complex and
    interconnected." I do not understand your dismissive attitude toward
    something as mind boggling as this.

    I'm no paleontologist. I have never seen a fossil trilobite. (I have one
    from Morocco that purports to be one, but I suspect it may be a fake tourist
    souvenir.) But I have read Levi-Straus' book carefully. It is packed with
    sensational photos of trilobites. It also contains photos of the biconvex
    lens found in the trilobite, and diagrams of Huygens and Descartes analyses
    of it. I find the book stands in stark contrast to your dismissive attitude.

    If you have not read or glanced at anything describing the trilobite eye you
    are missing something very good. It might help you see something
    specifically mind-boggling that may have escaped your attention in nature.

    You wrote, "Perhaps you could say what it is about the trilobite eye that
    makes it a
    good example of this intelligent design business." First, it is irreducibly
    complex. Remove one of the lens, or the Huygen's curved interface between
    them, and the sharp focus is lost. Second, AFAIK there is no physical or
    chemical or biological law, or combination of them, that can account for the
    formation of the biconvexity.

    Third, four Darwinian pathways have been identified that might account for
    the lens in Darwinian terms. (A) Serial direct Darwinian evolution, i.e.,
    one mutation at a time. This is woefully inadequate to account for the
    design. Mivart's dilemma applies here. It states that natural selection is
    incompetent to account for incipient stages of useful structures, i. e., it
    does not account for the incipient stages of biconvexity, before the two lens
    are fully functional. Can a half-functional biconvex lens be selected by the
    environment as adaptive? While the biconvex lens may have developed from the
    simpler lens of other species of trilobites, no intermediate stages leading
    up to the biconvex lens have been found. While this is negative evidence, it
    holds until positive evidence is found. (B) Parallel direct Darwinian
    evolution--approximately synchronous changes in more than one component so
    that modification to other components always occurs before the total
    modification to any one component has become significant--is inadequate.
    Mivart's dilemma applies here also. (C) Adoption from a different function.
    This does not address the formation of the biconvex lens since there is no
    other function from which it might have developed, except possibly another
    eye. (D) Elimination of function redundancy. There is no more complex lens
    of which the biconvex lens is a simplification.

    In another note I reported on the Darwinian interpretation that Levi-Straus
    gave of the biconvex trilobite eye. He stated, "What we would like to hear,
    to appease our Darwinian upbringing, is that new visual structures were
    evolved in response to new environmental pressures as a means of survival."
     As possibilities he suggests that it "allowed the trilobite to see at some
    depth in sea, at dusk, or in turbid water." He added the advantage that
    they provided a prompter recognition of and response to impending danger. To
    this hypothetical mix he adds “mating may have proven more effective with
    sharper images". (p. 59)

    The question I raised in another note. Which alternative explanation do you
    prefer--the Darwinian ones I gave above, or the one of intelligent design?

    Perhaps you know of other Darwinian explanation of pathways whereby the
    biconvex lens might have followed in becoming fully functional. You
    apparently accept the hypothesis that undirected events are responsible for
    the trilobite eye. I am open to hearing about them.

    Regards,

    Bob