RE: RE: Demand for Definiton of Design

From: Joel Z Bandstra (bandstra@ese.ogi.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 13:00:23 EDT

    Bob,

    I'm not trying to dismiss the trilobite eye example as something truly
    awesome. Rather I am trying to find out what is meant by this "intelligent
    design" argument. You offered the trilobite eye as an example of ID and I
    am attempting to find out what makes a thing a good example that I may be
    able to understand what the whole argument says (I guess I really ought to
    go get one of the books that is oft referred to on this list, but bugging
    you seems like more fun).

    You seem to indicate that for some phenomena to qualify as intelligent
    design it should be (i) irreducibly complex and (ii) unexplainable by
    scientific means. Does this amount to defining intelligent design as all
    physical phenomena that are not explained by science?

    Under this definition, the trilobite eye may be an example of ID but the
    melting of ice would not be. In this sense, the ID argument sets up an
    uneven mechanism for viewing science. One where the evidence for God (or
    some designer) increases as science discovers phenomena that it can't
    explain but, conversely, is weakened when science successfully explains
    various phenomena via natural "laws". This does two things, (i) it sets up
    an argument for the existence of God that falls as science is successful
    and (ii) it dilutes the matter of explained phenomena being produced by our
    creative Lord.

    I believe it to be Einstein who said: "There are only two ways to live
    your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though
    everything is a miracle."

    Joel