Re: Demand for Definiton of Design

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 09:30:47 EDT

    I have allowed my computer to be idle for a few days. I now see scores of
    messages re ID, In no way will I have the time to digest or respond to all
    of this. So, let me go back to Bob Dehaan's message of July 1.

    > Let me try once more to deal with your demand for a prior definition of
    > design.

    Let me try to clarify that request.

    The typical claim of ID proponents is: "We have clear scientific evidence
    that X was intelligently designed."

    I respond by saying: "OK, but I cannot evaluate that claim until I know what
    it means when you say that "X was intelligently designed." Two additional
    comments apply:

    (1) I am not necessarily looking for a tight, highly specific definition,
    complete with details regarding what happened when. A great step forward
    would be for them just to say whether ID was an act of Mind (say, in
    conceptualizing something for the accomplishment of a purpose) or an act of
    a "Hand" (say, in assembling something, or imposing a new form or structure
    on extant materials).

    (2) Neither am I expecting a definition on which all advocates will agree
    unequivocally. I would be content to have each proponent of ID give his/her
    own working definition. What I am asking for is candor and openness. Be
    aware of your own working definitions, your own presuppositions, your own
    goals, and be courageous enough to say what they are. Perhaps then a
    taxonomy of differing meanings of ID could then formulated to assist all
    participants in the ongoing evaluation of the various claims made under the
    rubric of ID.

    One of the features of the present ID literature that irritates me is its
    studious avoidance of doing either (1) or (2). Both clarity and candor seem
    strategically withheld (that is, ambiguity and obfuscation seem to be
    intentional). That gives the ID program the appearance of being some sort of
    propaganda blitz with a craftily hidden agenda. It could easily lead a
    person to ask whether this strategy is substantially different from the
    "scientific creationism" program with its claim to be a purely scientific
    enterprise without a religious agenda. Is it the intent of the ID program to
    suppress clarity and candor with regard to religious questions in order to
    get ID into science classrooms? Is it the intent of the ID program to give
    the appearance of having the support of a diversity of religious
    perspectives in order to claim that it is not religiously motivated or
    biased? Broadly, what do we learn about the ID movement by examining its
    strategies?

    Another feature of ID that is highly problematic to me as a Christian is its
    requirement that we see things as the outcome of either "intelligent design"
    or "natural causes." That effectively places the whole system of natural
    processes outside of the category of "intelligently designed" phenomena, a
    perspective that stands in profound contrast to the perspective of the
    historic Judeo-Christian doctrine of creation.

    Howard Van Till