RE: Demand for Definiton of Design

From: Joel Z Bandstra (bandstra@ese.ogi.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 19:48:25 EDT

    Bob,

    Your trilobite example indicates to me that "intelligent design" simply
    means that nature is complex and interconnected. So complex that one may
    have a difficult time excepting the hypothesis that undirected events are
    responsible. Is this what you mean to convey? If so, I don't really see
    it as adding anything new to the debate, it's simply the same as saying
    that complexity can not self-organize or that monkey's can't write poetry.
     If ID is something different than the idea that the world is
    mind-bogglingly complex then some sort of definition would be quite helpful
    in trying to understand the various claims that are being made.

    Perhaps you could say what it is about the trilobite eye that makes it a
    good example of this intelligent design business.

    Joel