Re: intelligent design

From: RDehaan237@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 06:14:47 EDT

    In a message dated 7/4/2000 12:19:42 AM, David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu
    writes:

    << So Bob, why is local adaptation incompatible with teleology for Darwinian
    mechanisms? >>

    David,

    For the reasons you stated. You wrote:

    "It seems to me that a process possessing short-term causal correlations at a
    local scientific level of description, but which is unpredictable in the long
    run (where the short term causal influences can not be extrapolated to the
    long term via any deterministic or quasi-deterministic stochastic scientific
    description) this does not imply a lack of purpose--especially a lack of
    *Divine* purpose. All it
    implies is a scientific inability to discern any teleology that may be
    present based on the consideration of those local conditions."

    Are purposes Divine in origin?. If so, they lie outside the purview of
    science. Is science unable to discern any teleology? Then it lies outside
    the reach of science.

    What I am saying is that the current theory of Darwinian evolution, held by
    the scientific community as expressed by some of their prominent
    spokespersons, and by large segments of the literate public, is that
    Darwinian evolution is a purposeless, directionless process with respect to
    distant goals. This is applied to human beings, and the conclusion is drawn
    that there is no purpose to be found in human evolution. This is the point
    of the quotations I offered in an earlier post.

    It is hard to say how widespread this view of evolution is held, because it
    is hard to find out who speaks for the theory of evolution, and how
    forthright they are in the face of some parts of the American religious
    community. For almost every expert opinion on the subject, an equal and
    opposite one can be found.

    I have stated elsewhere that this view of the purposelessness of natural
    selection is has both a scientific basis and a philosophical one. The
    scientific one is that natural selection does not work for the distant good
    of an animal or plant. How can it? It only works only for its immediate
    adaptation to its present environment. Moreover, environments do not change
    in a directional manner with respect to a future goal. So neither the
    randomness of mutations nor environment can be counted on to lead toward a
    given distant, prefixed goal. Thus Darwinian evolution is purposeless. This
    is what I have called the "necessary inference", not an opinion, from the
    inherent character of natural selection.

    If anyone can show that it is not so, I am willing to listen.

    Moreover, secular scientists are hard put to identify what a future cosmic or
    biological goal for evolution might be? Complexity? Human life? There is no
    basis for identifying one.

    This is where the atheism of some influential evolutionary authors kicks in,
    and provides a philosophical basis for declaring that evolution is
    directionless and purposeless.

    I hope I have addressed your questions.

    Regards,

    Bob