• Two excellent introductions — simple and clear, brief yet thorough — are Understanding Color and (to explain a wider variety of concepts, including hue, saturation, and brightness, plus grayscale and websafe colors, in 8 short pages) a Color Tutorial.
• A Color Glossary with lots of interesting concepts about physics, physiology, and art
• Visual Summaries of Basic Color Concepts (hue, saturation, brightness) including a "split out the white" way to understand saturation, by Craig Rusbult.
• Word-IQ offers a web-page (and website) with lots of resources to explore, especially for the physiology and psychology of human vision.
• The Color of Solutions with Transition Metal Complexes
• Tests for Color Blindness (occurs mainly in men, rarely in women) — How do we see color?
• Ultraviolet Vision — How does UV vision differ between humans and other animals?
• The obsolete 216 web-safe colors are shown, arranged
in a table-grid and
a click-able flower and big
flower plus resources to explore: Home-Page, Color-FAQ,... Lynda explains
reasons for modern web-artists to ignore these color limitations (if they
don't want to be stuck in a rut from 1997) or (to avoid dithering for
the rare websurfers who are still using old 8-bit systems) pay attention
to them. But instead
of just 216, how about 4096? The 4096 web-smart
colors are much less
artistically limiting, yet are safe (to avoid dithering) on almost all monitors
and computers now being
Crayons & 4096
Colors. Or you can have millions of colors, because 256x256x256 = 16,777,216. But do all computer screens show this many colors? (a "millions of colors" lawsuit against Apple) (I.O.U. - Later
I'll add more pages about color-on-the-web.)
This website for Whole-Person Education has TWO KINDS OF LINKS:
an ITALICIZED LINK keeps you inside a page, moving you to another part of it, and
a NON-ITALICIZED LINK opens another page. Both keep everything inside this window,
so your browser's BACK-button will always take you back to where you were.
Copyright © 2002 by Craig Rusbult
all rights reserved