Re: genesis of the rainbow

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 00:18:49 EDT

    Bill wrote

    << I think the answer to your question is in Genesis 2:4-6. "...for the
     Lord God had not sent rain on the earth..., but streams came up from the
     earth and watered the whole surface of the ground..." The first time
     rain is mentioned is Genesis 7:12 "And rain fell on the earth forty days
     and forty nights." Of course the people that saw that rain died in the
     Flood; Noah and his family were shut up in the Ark.

    Gen 7:12 is the third time the word "rain" occurs in the English OT. I think
    the preceding verse is very relevant to answering the question about the
    rainbow. In Gen 7:4, God says to Noah, "For yet seven days, and I will cause
    it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights..."

    If it had never rained before that, it seems Noah would have to have asked,
    "What is "rain"? This would make the account very unusual. Gen 7:4 seems to
    be assuming that Noah knew what rain was; and this suggests that it had
    rained before God used the word. One could argue that no one had yet seen a
    rainbow; but, that does not seem very likely either.

    It could be that God had "set his bow" in the clouds many times before Gen 9;
    but, not as a "token" of a covenant. There is a bit of a parallel to this in
    God's making circumcision the "token of a covenant" (Gen 17:11), when
    circumcision existed at least among other peoples prior to this.

    Paul