genesis of the rainbow

From: Bjoern Moeller (dj_mic20@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 08:33:41 EDT

    Dear list,

    As Noah and his ark is already an issue it is
    appropriate to put out a question that has its
    background in a discussion I had with my brother in
    law yesterday. He is not a Christian, but he is still
    intelligent (sic).

    The discussion was about the genesis of the rainbow in
    the context of Gen. 9, 12-17, especially verse 13.

    Was this the first appearance of the rainbow, i.e. did
    God create the rainbow (or rather the natural
    phenomenon rainbow) at this moment ? Or did the
    rainbow show up for natural reasons (i.e. light
    breaking in water), and then God used the occasion to
    make a covenant with Noah? With the last alternative
    it is implied that this was not the first time a
    rainbow showed in the sky.

    My intelligent brother in law inferred the
    consequences of God creating the rainbow at that
    moment to be (probably) that the natural incident of
    light breaking in water never had occurred before,
    which he finds improbable. At least if it ever had
    rained before the time of Noah, which is highly
    probable.

    I suggested a reading of verse 13 which concords with
    alternative two above; the rainbow appearing (either
    by divine intervention, or for natural reasons), but
    not for the first time. My brother in law did not
    agree with me.

    Any theologians, physicists or other good people out
    there with a justified opinion?

    Bjorn Moller
    student of philosophy
    Copenhagen University, Denmark