Re: genesis of the rainbow

From: Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 00:13:36 EDT

    On Mon, 12 Jun 2000 05:33:41 -0700 (PDT) Bjoern Moeller
    <dj_mic20@yahoo.com> writes:

    >The discussion was about the genesis of the rainbow in
    >the context of Gen. 9, 12-17, especially verse 13.
    >
    >Was this the first appearance of the rainbow, i.e. did
    >God create the rainbow (or rather the natural
    >phenomenon rainbow) at this moment ? Or did the
    >rainbow show up for natural reasons (i.e. light
    >breaking in water), and then God used the occasion to
    >make a covenant with Noah? With the last alternative
    >it is implied that this was not the first time a
    >rainbow showed in the sky.

    Hi Bjoern,

    I think the answer to your question is in Genesis 2:4-6. "...for the
    Lord God had not sent rain on the earth..., but streams came up from the
    earth and watered the whole surface of the ground..." The first time
    rain is mentioned is Genesis 7:12 "And rain fell on the earth forty days
    and forty nights." Of course the people that saw that rain died in the
    Flood; Noah and his family were shut up in the Ark.

    If you take an OEC view, this won't work, but at least the Bible is
    internally consistent for the YEC view.

    Bill