Re: Moving to Aberdeen

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 17:21:54 EDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Inge Frette" <inge.frette@geologica.no>
    To: <asa@calvin.edu>
    Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 5:06 PM
    Subject: Re: Moving to Aberdeen

    > Hi Glenn,
    >
    > I just visited Aberdeen when the Gifford conference
    > was held there two weeks ago. I got the chance to listen to lectures
    > by Paul Davies, Michael Behe, William Lane Craig, Richard Swinburne
    > and many others.
    > It is a nice city and the area around is also nice. I think they call
    Aberdeen
    > the Granite city - and that may be true because almost all the buildings
    > seem to have been built with Granite.
    >
    > I work in a small geological company that is very much involved in
    > research on the geology of the North Sea. I live and work in Stavanger
    which is
    > called the oil capital in Norway like Aberdeen is in the UK.
    > Aberdeen is almost as north as Stavanger, and I can confirm that during
    > the winter it is dark almost 18 hours a day, BUT in the summer we have
    > these long sunny evenings, and that is so great. Stavanger is not far away
    > and there are at least 2 ASA members here (incl. me), and both are
    > members of the ASA discussion group - just to let you know if you ever get
    > to Stavanger and have time to meet some ASA-folks.
    >
    > I hope you will stay on the list - from Scotland.

    I almost got a trip to Stavanger when we were partners with Statoil on some
    properties in the Gulf of Mexico but it didn't work out. We still are
    partners with Statoil, but they chose to get out of the Gulf of Mexico and
    are about 20 days from leaving the US. I am aware of how different the
    lighting will be. I have never lived north of 35 deg N latitude. I hope I
    will get to see the aurora borealis as I have never seen that before.

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm