Re: Methane in the Archean... and Enoch

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 16:47:05 EDT

    Adam wrote:
    > But we're not even talking miracles when we talk about the opinion of the
    > Ancients about Eden, Cain vs Abel, Nephilim, Flood and Babel... where do
    we
    > stop believing??? There are plenty of Jewish "legends" that surround all
    > those "events" and Orothodox Jews believe them. Who are we to disagree? By
    > what measure do we decide what must be defended as History and what must
    be
    > considered erroneous???
    >
    > Did you know that Jude quotes a prophecy from the "Book of Enoch"? We're
    > talking about a multi-million year prophecy if your scenario is true. If
    > Jude, brother of Jesus, could be wrong on a historical attribution then
    who
    > else in the NT is wrong??? Jesus quotes Deutero-Isaiah as being Isaiah,
    and
    > "Moses"... was he wrong? Or merely human in his understanding like his
    > fellow Jews? Josephus believed a whole load of weird things about the
    Bible
    > and its formation and they were the beliefs current in his day. If JC
    truly
    > became flesh then surely he would've been as limited as his fellow Jews -
    > and if he sought to correct them would he have killed the Gospel with
    > disputes over authorship?
    >
    > It's these sorts of considerations of the Bible's own history that led me
    > reject a naive one-to-one map of Bible to History - BUT I don't deny that
    > there MUST be some historical nucleus. But what details do we retain and
    > what do we dump? Take Jonah... there was a prophet and a city, but was
    there
    > a fish and quick-growing vine? Was there a pre-Diluvial humanity who lived
    > for centuries??? 3 million Jews who walked out of Egypt? Or are these
    > misunderstood figures that originally were much smaller?

    If all this is false, then truly the Bible is a book of falsehoods. Why
    would we use it as the basis for our beliefs about God? See that is what
    the problem is. I don't believe the book of Mormon because it says there
    were preColumbian chariots on the North American continent. It is a fact
    that the American Indians never invented the wheel for transportation. The
    book of Mormon is a false history simply because of that fact. And because
    it is a false history, it is not worthy of being taught as the word of God.
    Such logic would also apply to the Bible.

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm