Re: Methane in the Archean... and Enoch

From: Stein A. Strømme (stromme@mi.uib.no)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 10:13:34 EDT

    [George Murphy]

    | Stein A. Strømme wrote:
    | >
    | > [Adam Crowl]
    | >
    | > | Did you know that Jude quotes a prophecy from the "Book of
    | > | Enoch"? We're talking about a multi-million year prophecy if
    | > | your scenario is true.
    | >
    | > Can you elaborate?
    |
    | The Book of Enoch (I Enoch) is a collection of Jewish writings
    | originating probably between 200 B.C. & the beginning of the
    | Christian era. The likelihood that any of it goes back to an
    | antediluvian patriarch is slim. Jude 14-15 is a fairly accurate
    | quotation of I Enoch 1:9. I Enoch may have had other, & more
    | important, influences on Jesus & the NT writers but this is (I
    | think) the only direct quotation from it in the NT.

    Thanks, I knew this but wondered about the multi-million year thing.
    For a moment I thought the Book of Enoch had such numbers in it! I
    overlooked the part "if your scenario is true" (Glenn's, of course).
    Everything makes sense now.

    Stein

    --
    Stein Arild Strømme <mailto:stromme@mi.uib.no>  telefon +47 55584825
    Universitetet i Bergen, Matematisk insitutt       mobil +47 95801887