Natural and Supernatural (was Chance and Selection)

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 26 2000 - 09:58:23 EST

    To: ccogan@telepath.com (Chris Cogan)

    >It is a trivial matter to prove
    >that a deterministic universe can be every bit as rich and varied as an
    >indeterministic universe. In fact, that's one of the *main* reasons
    >indeterminism could not be proved even if it were *true*; any alleged kind
    >of indeterminism can be emulated to *any* finite degree of accuracy
    >(billions upon billions of decimal places in the smallest units of possible
    >measurement, if necessary) by an *absolutely* deterministic universe. This
    >is why I would reject the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum physics,
    >even if I did not have reasons for rejecting it on logical grounds.

    Bertvan;
    You have every right to reject the Copenhagen interpretation, but I'm
    skeptical of your authority to call those scientists who don't reject it the
    colorful pejoratives you are accustomed to appling to people who disagree
    with you. Indeterminism could not be proved even if true, as you say, and
    neither could determinism.

    Chris
    >Imagine *anything* that you think
    >does or could happen by *indeterministic* processes, and then spend some
    >time coming up with a few dozen ways that the *same* results could be
    >achieved by strictly deterministic means.

    Bertvan
    Hey, anyone can imagine ways that determinism might do things. Darwinists
    have been busy for a century imagining how evolution might have occurred by
    "chance and selection". Trouble is, some people don't consider those
    imaginary scenarios as likely.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan