Re: Natural and Supernatural (was Chance and Selection)

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (susanb@telepath.com)
Date: Tue Dec 26 2000 - 15:08:36 EST

    >Bertvan wrote:
    >Hey, anyone can imagine ways that determinism might do things. Darwinists
    >have been busy for a century imagining how evolution might have occurred by
    >"chance and selection". Trouble is, some people don't consider those
    >imaginary scenarios as likely.

    you know this isn't true. You've been shown many times how gene replication
    errors and natural selection actually work in the real world. There is no
    "imagination" involved. There are thousands of observations to support
    natural selection. Documented cases of change occurring through variation
    and selection. There are several series of fossils arranged chronologically
    that show gradual changes from one species to another, from one genus to
    another. You've seen them--or had an opportunity to see them. Yet you keep
    repeating this bald untruth. Do you really think that repeating it over and
    over will make it come true?

    One of my new age friends told me in all seriousness that she knows of
    someone who visualized an emerald with such clarity that it materialized on
    the table in front of her. Perhaps if you keep chanting your mantra
    "darwinism isn't true, darwinism isn't true" one morning we will wake up
    and DNA testing will no longer exist, American agriculture will be where it
    was at the turn of the century, you would only have to take one flu shot in
    your entire life, your doctor can give you antibiotics like they were M&Ms,
    cockroach spray will *always* work and this photograph
    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/hominid/hominid.html will disappear from my
    website. You appear to have borrowed the common practice among creationists
    of carefully shielding yourself from any evidence which is contrary to your
    position.

    Of course, evidence, empirical observations and logic are merely coercion,
    intimidation and methods of "imposing" ideas upon you. You believe that all
    opinions are equal and are not subject to verification in the real world.
    That is why I ask the truck driver next door medical questions and save the
    computer questions for my doctor. After, all, facts are not necessary to
    the formation of opinions, only feelings. The truck driver has just as much
    a right to his opinion about the treatment of pneumonia as does my doctor.
    And their opinions have equal value.

    You find natural selection to be distasteful. Fine. You want there to be
    "more" in the universe than we can see. Fine. But *please* confine your
    remarks to those which you know to be true (and it would be nice if you
    would present supporting evidence for their truth-value) and avoid
    statements which you know are not true.

    Susan

    --------

    Always ask. Hang out with people who make you laugh. Love as many people as
    you can. Read everything you can get your hands on. Take frequent naps.
    Watch as little television as you can stand. Tell people what you want. Do
    what you love as much as you can. Dance every day.
    --------
    Please visit my website:
    http://www.telepath.com/susanb