Re: The brain as a complex computer

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Mon Dec 25 2000 - 22:09:20 EST

    At 11:03 AM 12/25/2000 -0500, you wrote:

    >I wonder which is the better approach to demonstrate that the brain is merely
    >a complex machine, resembling a computer - Psychiatrists with their DSM/ICD
    >or non-psychiatric materialists awaiting results of "promising research"?

    The resemblance of the brain to a computer is *extremely* superficial, so I
    would suggest that neither approach is sound. Perhaps it would be more
    accurate to say that the brain, if it is a computer, is radically different
    from any computer now in existence (though *not* necessarily radically
    different in the behavior that can be produced by software, since the
    computer's software and data structures could, in principle, make up for
    its extreme hardware differences).

    <snip>
    >P.S.
    >Some of us believe there is as much evidence for chemical imbalances as
    >there is for "chance and selection" as an explanation of life's complexity.

    Chris
    This is probably not true, because "chance and selection" have been studied
    and empirically tested in so many thousands of ways for such a long time.

    Nevertheless, chemical imbalances *can* be measured, as can the
    neurological effects of *creating* chemical imbalances (by suppressing
    neurotransmitters or by blocking their function). Further, we can measure
    the results of re-establishing chemical balance, on brain function (via
    EEG, for example), on emotional state, and on behavior (work performance,
    etc.). Further still, this can all be done on a double-blind basis fairly
    easily.

    Try to get a subscription to Discover Magazine, at least.