Re: Can you find more errors (was Daniel's 70 weeks #6)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 18:00:00 EST

    Reflectorites

    On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 05:29:29 EST, AutismUK@aol.com wrote:

    [...]

    >As a postscript, I have copied the same passage again and have noted all
    >the errors, unsupported assertions, or dishonest argument tactics used in 9
    >lines.
    >
    >So far I have 14 ; some of which are related to others.
    >
    >Anyone spot any more ?

    I must say I smiled at Paul's claim that *I* posted "unsupported
    assertions"!

    But I regard this as just another red-herring by Paul to divert attention
    away from the fact that he posted little (if any) actual evidence for his
    claims but mostly (if not totally) just made unsubstantiated assertions.

    So I will not respond to Paul's diversionary tactics but will continue
    working through his *arguments* to see if there is anything new in them
    and then respond to same.

    > >But as Geisler points out above there were some prophecies (like Mic 5:2 and
    > >Dan 9:24-27) that were outside the power of Jesus or His followers to
    > >fulfill, unless Jesus was who He said He was.
    >
    > >PR>Or unless the Gospel authors fashioned the story to fit the prophecy.
    >
    > See previous post on this. It is easy for amateur critics like Paul to
    >blithely
    > say this, because they never have to work through the details and
    > implications of their `the Gospel authors were frauds' theory. My
    > understanding is that few (if any) of even the radical critical theologians
    > have maintained this. It is just too psychologically absurd that a group of
    > Jews would author some of the highest ethical teaching the world has ever
    > seen, and then be prepared to die for those teachings, when all along they
    > were just frauds who made the whole thing up.
    >
    >[1] "Amateur" buzz word implying "knows damn all"
    >[2] Blithely - emotionally toned word
    >[3] Assumption argument not thought through
    >[4] Assumes implication of fraud because of "fashioned the story"
    >[5] False dichotomy, probably part of 2] ; between "frauds who made whole
    >thing up" and "Jesus was who he said he was".
    >[6] "Radical Critical" buzz words meaning "don't listen to them".
    >[7] Fraud - extension of "fashioning the story"
    >[8] Absurd, emotionally toned word
    >[9] Assumption of "highest ethical teachings"
    >[10] Assumption authors died for those teaching (Jones admits the
    >authorship is tradition !)
    >[11] Assumption of accuracy of reporting in Bible, related to 7
    >[12] Assumption people will not die for things they "know" to be false
    >[ignores delusional aspect]
    >[13] Assumption that Gospel authors knew it was true, as opposed to
    >(say) being told it by someone else.
    >[14] Assumption that changing a part means "made the whole thing up" -
    >extension error.

    Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
    3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
    Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
    Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)