Re: Can you find more errors (was Daniel's 70 weeks #6)

From: AutismUK@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 19:12:40 EST

    Paul Robson:
    >As a postscript, I have copied the same passage again and have noted all
    >the errors, unsupported assertions, or dishonest argument tactics used in 9
    >lines.
    >
    >So far I have 14 ; some of which are related to others.
    >
    >Anyone spot any more ?

    Steve Jones:
     I must say I smiled at Paul's claim that *I* posted "unsupported
     assertions".

    Paul Robson:
     In 9 lines there are 14 unsupported assertions, use of debate tricks,
     inconsistencies etc. I agree, this is funny, especially as I didn't
     "select" this passage specifically.

    Steve Jones:
     But I regard this as just another red-herring by Paul to divert attention
     away from the fact that he posted little (if any) actual evidence for his
     claims but mostly (if not totally) just made unsubstantiated assertions.

     So I will not respond to Paul's diversionary tactics but will continue
     working through his *arguments* to see if there is anything new in them
     and then respond to same.

    Paul Robson:
     Well, I would have thought it was obvious to the most simple minded
     half wit.

     Your alleged "arguments" contain so many errors, assertion, dishonest
     debate tricks etc that they are impossible to respond to, without it
     getting ridiculous.

     I found 14 assumptions and errors, which you cannot support but
     simply assume as a fact.

     In this particular passage there is one huge error (the dichotomy) which,
     as usual, you simply ignore.

     This is how I think you operate.

     You do not actually read the passage, or attempt to understand the
     arguments. You simply look for "key words". You then refer to one
     of your numerous apologetics texts, and simply copy and repeat
     their arguments. You make no effort to check these arguments are
     coherent or consistent.

     Despite your claim to be "answering" my arguments, I think you aren't
     even READING them. You certainly aren't reading yours.

     Your use of the argument from silence is quite staggeringly dishonest.
     But you probably don't grasp why. It is the same basic problem. The
     function of your "arguments" (as with Daniel) is simply to get from A
     to B. Once you have done this, you can use different arguments to
     get from C to D. The minor detail that these are inconsistent does not
     bother you.

     "Paul OTOH is working from the basic assumption that Jesus is not the
      Messiah and supernatural predictive prophecy is impossible."

     It is nice to see this stupendously tedious Christian cliche dragged out
     yet again.

     Paul is working from the assumption that apologists/creationists will
     say any old crap in an attempt to convince the waverers and wobbly
     Christians.

     Paul's argument, is the fact that Jones has quoted three different
     methods, calculated in different ways, and is apparently trying to
     defend all three.

     They can't all work. If you use 360 day years, this is a completely
     different "discard ratio" to 6 year out of 7, as does using 365 day
     years, of course.

     Question for the stupid. What does this tell you about either the
     beginning or terminus dates ?

    Paul Robson.