Re: Religious Beliefs that *Require* the Falsehood of Scientific Theories (was: we have witnessed no new species emerge in the wild?)

From: bill r wald (billwald@juno.com)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 13:21:17 EST

    Philosophical claims are of such fundamentality that they cannot come in
    conflict with genuine empirical fact and genuine scientific theory (this
    is one of the reasons why the indeterminism of the "Copenhagen
    Interpretation" of Quantum Mechanics is not scientific; it is *not*
    resolvable, even in principle, by empirical observation *except* by being
    empirically *falsified*).
    <<<<<

    Until Francis Bacon and the Rationalists "we" lived in a spiritual world.
    From Bacon and Newton we had a physical world to study but since
    Copenhagen the universe has reverted to a spiritual world and science has
    been conquered by philosophy. many of the pop science books are more
    philosophical than scientific.

    Personally, I think science should stick to Bacon's rules - verifyable
    observations.
    Dembski and others are preaching metaphysics.

    billwald@juno.com
    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.