Religious Beliefs that *Require* the Falsehood of Scientific Theories (was: we have witnessed no new species emerge in the wild?)

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 21:06:56 EST

    >>Stephen:
    >>I don't say "science doesn't know X therefore my religion is true!" I have
    >>stated many times that I would have no problem with my religion if
    >>evolution was true. In fact for about 15 years as a Christian I believed that
    >>evolution was probably true and just God's means of creating.

    Chris
    No, you say, "if science *does* know X, then my religion *isn't* true,"
    which, in practice, is nearly the same thing. That is, *your* religion can
    *only* be true if naturalistic evolution is false, so it *absolutely*
    depends on science not knowing that it *IS* true. It is a fundamental and
    absolutely crucial mistake to make your religious belief dependent on
    whether some purely scientific theory is true *or* false. In *general*, it
    is a mistake to make *any* critical philosophical premise dependent on
    whether any such a theory is true or false. In other words, *if* it is
    possible for science to resolve a question, then any particular supposed
    answer to *that* question should *not* be part of your *philosophical* system.

    Why? Because it is then *not* a primarily philosophical question. It is a
    *scientific* one. And, *because* it is scientific, it *cannot* have the
    kind of foundation that a strictly philosophical proposition can have, and
    it is subject to empirical falsification.

    Philosophical claims are of such fundamentality that they cannot come in
    conflict with genuine empirical fact and genuine scientific theory (this is
    one of the reasons why the indeterminism of the "Copenhagen Interpretation"
    of Quantum Mechanics is not scientific; it is *not* resolvable, even in
    principle, by empirical observation *except* by being empirically *falsified*).

    Your *religion* absolutely requires you to reject naturalistic evolution
    *regardless* of the empirical facts. That's a bad, bad, *bad* mistake, in
    *any* religion.