Re: Vague appeals to OST (retraction - kind of)

From: AutismUK@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 25 2000 - 02:52:27 EST

    DNAunion:
     Okay, so I could not find every post I have ever read at every
     evolution/creation/ID site I have ever visited. Was I really expected to?

    Paul Robson:
     No ; you expected me to do that that actually. But you shouldn't
     need to if such claims are made frequently.

    DNAUnion:
     But since I could find posts that back up my EXACT claim, I will retract it
     and replace it with my GENERAL FORM of the claim.

    Paul Robson:
     This'll be interesting.

    DNAUnion:
     Over the course of several years, I have personally read many posts on the
     internet, at various sites, in which an "evolutionist", while responding to
     Creationist/IDist argument, relies only on open-system thermodynamics to
     "refute" his opponent. In these particular exchanges, the Creationist/IDist
     had argued that some biological process that involved large increases in
     order and complexity (such as macroevolution or the evolution of the first
     cell) could not occur by purely-natural, undirected processes because that
     would go against the tendency imposed by the 2nd law - to which the
     "evolutionst" counters along the lines of, "but life and/or the Earth are
     open-systems, so entropy can decrease". This reliance on only open-system
     thermodynamics is all that is offered by the "evolutionist" in the many
    cases
     I am discussing - no mention is made of the biological molecular machines
     that are also required,

    Paul Robson:
     I agree. What do you expect as an answer ?

     If I summarise this passage it would be that

     1] CID is saying that "a complex biological process goes against the
         second law of thermodynamics"

     2] EVO is saying simply "no it doesn't, because that particular part of
         SLOT only applies to open systems".

     Do you agree ?

     Now, I would agree that explicitly or implicitly your posts (1-6) are forms
     of that argument. But I'm not quite sure what you expect. The
     CID has made a statement that evolution violates a particular law.
     The EVO has pointed out that it doesn't.

     Now, the implied bit, that this is all there is. I don't know why you think
     this. A site like t.o. (one of your quoted sites) clearly has many other
     pages than the one you quoted. Are you suggesting that an answer to
     "Does evolution violate SLOT ?" should contain vast amounts of
     biological information.

    DNAUnion:
     and more importantly, the origin of those biological
     molecules machines is never addressed. And should
     the Creationist/IDist bring up problems of the origin of said molecular
     machines, the "Evolutionist" falls back to the position that they themselves
     are not part of thermodynamics: moving the goal posts.

    Paul Robson:
     That's because both these are distraction tactics, DNAUnion, and they
     are commonly used by CIDers in my experience.

     The CID wants to argue that Evolution violates SLOT. This is usually done
     by praising SLOT to the heights beforehand, so their readers know
     "which side" to take, then making the claim that Evo goes against SLOT,
     usually not mentioning open/closed systems at all, sometimes mentioning
     them but saying it doesn't matter.

     Now to rebut this all one has to do is to show that the corollary does not
     apply in the case of evolution.

     The reason for talking about machines, energy conversion etc etc is a
     cheap argument tactic to move the goalposts. Note that the CIDer said
     originally that Evolution goes against Thermodynamics. He is now trying
     to pretend (as are you) that Thermodynamics is all that is required.

     This is the basis of the evolving junkyard response by the CIDer. "Well,
     if evolution doesn't violate SLOT, why don't rusty cars repair themselves
     in junkyards". Answer: "Because there are other processes going on".

     Your complaint appears to boil down to an objection that Evolutionists are
     relying on thermodynamics to refute a CID statement about thermodynamics.